1Pass 4 changed some of my my passwords

Options
RickCunn
RickCunn
Community Member

I just upgraded to V4. After failing to log into my bank account I discovered 1Pass 4 had the correct user name but the password was scrambled. Fortunately I still have V3 around. Is there some way to properly import V3 into V4? Or do I just request a refund and stick with V3?

Comments

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

In case anyone else discovered this problem .....

I also discovered that V3 had the same scrambled PWs as V4. And I know for a fact V3 was working an hour before I bought the upgrade, since I was in my bank account without any problems. Somehow the upgrade scrambled the same PWs in V3 as it had in V4. What I also discovered was that 1Pass maintains a log of PWs previously generated using 1Pass. Somehow during the upgrade process both versions ended up with the same previous PW. I went thru every login in 1Pass and found that the handful that I let 1Pass generate PWs for had the problem: previous PW substituted for the current one. The others contained the proper login credentials.

Fortunately I had exported the V3 data only 3 days ago (I keep things like that in an encrypted sparsebundle). So the fix was to delete every login in both versions and then import. The restored everything. Since I see no need for obsolete PWs I am going to delete those also. Would anyone have any idea why maintaining a log of obsolete PWs is a good idea? I can think of none.

Lastly, back up, back up, back up ....... the same old mantra still applies.

• Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for the update!

I don't think we had a problem like this reported before. Do you see anything special about these items?

1Password keeps track of the previously used passwords for each login. The idea is to have the full audit log of password changes that were made. This could be useful in cases when the automatic password change did not go through.

We also had a case where company had a problem with their online system and restored a previous backup which caused all recently changed accounts to revert to their previous state, including the passwords.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. No, nothing special for the logins, at least that I can see: user name, PW and some security questions. The only thing that made them stand out was they were the few accounts I let 1Pass generate PWs for, and thus were in the PW archive. Those were the only logins with the problem. Since I see no reason to keep expired PWs I'll delete them as soon as the account forces a PW change. BTW, I also keep a paper copy of all my critical PWs in a safe, and I also keep an electronic copy in a Word table in the encrypted sparsebundle. And I periodically export the 1pif file to the encrypted partition also. So other than the annoyance of wasted time I am OK.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RickCunn,

I'm glad to hear that you got things sorted out, although I'm really sorry you had to go through such a process! Thanks for following up with that information. It sounds like you've thought a lot about your security and the safety of your data - that's what we like to hear.

Again I do want to apologize for the wasted time. If you have any further questions, we'd be happy to help :)

This discussion has been closed.