Safari 7 and "Cannot fill item in (null)"; also Chrome & Firefox

hjatr
hjatr
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Having upgraded to Safaris newest version, I get the error message "Cannot fill item in (null)" when trying to use 1Password 4 (newest version). I'm perfectly able to use 1Password 4 in Firefox, so it has to be an issue with Safari 7. I've deinstalled and reinstalled the Safari extension several times, without success.

The "Troubleshooting Guide" says: "If you see a window like the one shown below, your browser likely failed to pass the code verification process."

Does that mean I can't use 1Password in Safari 7? It seems unlikely to me that Safari doesn't meet Apples own verification process.

Any hints how to solve this problem?

Best
Joachim

Comments

• hjatr
    hjatr
    Community Member

PS: I'm using Mac OS X 10.9

• Thanks for the report @hjatr.

1Password supports Safari 7; in fact I'm using it to type this reply :)

It sounds like there is something on your system that is causing the validation process to fail. Do you have Sophos or other anti-virus / firewall applications installed?

If not, please create a Diagnostics Report and email it to us at support+diags@agilebits.com so we can take a look. Please include a link to this forum post and your username so we can connect the dots. It will also give us something unique to search by :)

• hjatr
    hjatr
    Community Member

I'm using Little Snitch (3.3). The Diagnostics Report is on its way.

Thanks for looking at the problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you've sent the report, @hjatr.

• nzdoc
    nzdoc
    Community Member

Hi,

I have been a happy user of 1Password for about 4 months. I recently changed my computer. I had a similar setup on my old mac as I do now and I did not have this problem.

In both Safari and Chrome when I try to fill a password I get the "Cannot fill item in (null)" error. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome but it did not help. I am running Sophos and the Apple firewall. I was running Sophos and Mac firewall previously on my old mac and I did not have this problem.

I don't know what else I can do. I will send a diagnostic report.

Please advise.

Thanks

• nzdoc
    nzdoc
    Community Member

also I am running OS 10.9. Which I was on my old macbook too :-)

• nzdoc
    nzdoc
    Community Member

Diagnostic report sent

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I suppose this article on configuring Sophos doesn't help?

Stephen

• steve13
    steve13
    Community Member

I am seeing this same problem with 1Password 4.0.7 Beta. I am running OS X 10.9.

• t_heinrich
    t_heinrich
    Community Member

Hello,

I'm using the latest versions of Firefox, 1Password and the extensions.
    When I try to fill in the data I got the following message.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2xq7ruhf8rewax/Screenshot 2013-11-03 16.02.15.png

Does anybody know what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Thomas

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hey guys,

@nzdoc: Can you confirm Sophos Web Protection is configured per instructions in the Configuring Sophos article that @Stephen_C mentioned? The report you sent shows Web Protection is enabled but not its specific configuration.

@steve13: Have all the 1Password fails to fill data troubleshooting tips failed to resolve your problem?

• tutuleslie
    tutuleslie
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. I get the error message: Cannot Fill Item in (null)

(null) is connected but its code signature could not be verified. Filling and other features are disabled until this configuration issue is resolved.

Try moving (null) to your /Applications folder to satisfy the Mac App Store sandbox requirements.

I am having the problem in Safari. I am running 1Password4 (latest release) on OS X Mavericks.

I am going to create a diagnostics report and e-mail it to you, following the instructions in Post no. 3.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hey guys,

@t_heinrich: Please make sure the Always keep 1Password mini running option is enabled in Preferences > General:

@tutuleslie: By now you've probably seen email from Rad suggesting you enable that option.

Do let us know if that fixes the problem -- thanks!

• immortalis
    immortalis
    Community Member

Hi @sjk,

I would like to inform you that the issue with "Cannot fill item in (null)" also appears on my system. I am running OS X 10.9 with Safari 7. To make sure, that no other application is causing this issue, I did a clean install of OS X 10.9. After that, I just installed 1Password 4.0.5 from the Mac App Store (and yes, 1Password mini is always running and the latest extension for Safari 7 is installed)...

Here are my steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Power on your Mac with OS X 10.9 and log in
    2. Start 1Password 4.0.5 and log in.
    3. Make sure that Safari 7 is NOT running.
    4. Switch to 1Password mini
    5. Select a "Login", for example "Facebook" (if you have one).
    6. 1Password will start Safari and displays the message with "Cannot fill item in (null)" but the login data will be filled in and send.

PLESE NOTE: If Safari is already open, the message with "Cannot fill item in (null)" won't be displayed.
    The message only gets displayed, if Safari is not running and 1Password 4 opens Safari for you.

I am also able to reproduce this issue on every system running OS X 10.9, Safari 7 and 1Password 4.0.5

Hope this helps you fix the issue.
    Or do you already have some news about that?

Regards'
    Marc

• Brent Oxley
    Brent Oxley
    Community Member

I had this same exact problem after upgrading to the latest version of 1password. I solved the issue by uninstalling the 1password browser extension in safari and reinstalling it. Make sure to quit safari after uninstalling and then again upon reinstalling.

• Popsarmchair
    Popsarmchair
    Community Member

When clicking on the 1Password Chrome browser extension it shows '(null) Vault' in 1 Password mini. When keying in my password I get the error message 'There is no vault. Please open the 1Password App'.
    The main app opens fine and I can see all my data, but just can't get to it in 1Password mini.
    Thanks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi everyone,

Huge thanks to @immortalis (in post #15) for helping us track down and better understand the problem that many of you have reported with this Cannot fill item in (null) window appearing:

To work around this issue please launch your web browser before selecting a Login item from 1Password mini to open and fill the page in the browser. Also, with Firefox and Chrome, make sure you have at least one browser window open before using 1P mini to open/fill a page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you and will release an update with it fixed as soon as possible.

• immortalis
    immortalis
    Community Member

Hi @sjk

Absolutly no problem... I am glad that I was able to solve the maze... I assume, that you have forwarded all these information to the dev-folks?
    So lets wait for a fix... And enjoy 1P4...

Best regards'

Marc

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hey, Marc (@immortalis). The Cannot fill item in (null) bug should be resolved in 4.0.7. The Agile Web Store update is currently available; the Mac App Store update has been submitted to Apple and we're awaiting their approval.

Note that the issue with Chrome and Firefox requiring at least one existing window in order for 1Password Go & Fill to work, at least in certain cases, is still unresolved and I've filed a bug for it.

• immortalis
    immortalis
    Community Member

Hi @sjk

Thanks for the information... I just checked the release notes: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4 and I was not able to find the "Cannot fill item in (null)" bug inside the "fixed" part of it. Any ideas? Or am I just looking at the wrong one...

As I understand you correctly, the bug is just fixed for Safari 7, right? I'm not using Firefox or Chrome, I'm just a long time Safari user...

Regards'
    Marc

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi again, Marc (@immortalis). :)

You're correct -- the Cannot fill item in (null) fix isn't mentioned in the Release Notes for 4.0.7, an omission I'd also noticed earlier, possibly because the fix snuck in so shortly before the final release. Thanks for the reminder to check about noting it there.

That fix does cover Chrome and Firefox as well as Safari. The other issue I mentioned is a separate one and doesn't apply to Safari.

This discussion has been closed.