Moving to a New Computer and Upgrading 1Password

Options
Gensoup
Gensoup
Community Member

I am currently on a six-year old MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and 1Password 3.8.21. My plan is to purchase a new MacBook Pro in December and I'm beginning to think about what I will need to do to make the transistion which will include 1Password 4. My first question is, will I need to purchase a new copy of the program for the new computer, or purchase an upgrade from v3 to v4? Next question, once I have v4 on the new computer, how do I go about porting my old data from the old computer to the new one? I suspect these are simple things, but I want to be sure I get it right. Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @Gensoup,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! New computers are nice to dream about and plan, aren't they?

You can most definitely use your current license to snag 1Password 4 at an upgrade price instead of paying full price! Just head over to https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade and paste your license in the top field to see the discount available to you. :)

Now, you have several options on how to move your data onto your new computer. You can use Mac's built-in migration assistant and transfer all of the things automatically. This will include your 1Password datafile, and all your backups. (I'll admit, this is what I usually do.) If you prefer to migrate things manually, the easiest thing to do is sync your data in 1Password 3 to Dropbox. If you're not already using Dropbox, you can learn how to set it up here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_syncing_with_dropbox.html. Then, once you install 1Password 4 and Dropbox on your new computer, set up will be a breeze!

I know I probably don't have to remind you to do this, but you want to be sure that you run a full backup of all your data before doing anything fancy like transferring it to a new machine. Certainly don't want anything to get lost or muddled up, whatever route you decided to take!

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.