Upgrade trauma

Options
Synchro
Synchro
Community Member

After having all kinds of problems prior to 4.0.5 which seemed to be fixed, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my last machine. It didn't go well.

It's a Mac Mini running 10.9. It was previously running most recent 1Password 3, storing keychain in user folder, no external sync set up.

First: it installed in the applications folder, but did not replace 1Password 3, instead creating a folder with apparently the same name (though it was actually 1Password.localized), but looked the same with extensions hidden. This is quite different to what happened on my other two machines.

I put 1Password 3 in the bin, and then moved the 1Password.app out of its folder into the root of the applications folder. I then launched it, and it found the existing keychain and appeared to be happy.

I then went to install the browser extensions. I first removed the old ones, then downloaded the new Safari extension. Installing that went very strange. It got stuck in a loop where it would look for the app, open the applications folder, open a new tab in Safari and start looking again, opening the folder, opening another tab and so on. I closed those tabs and quit Safari, relaunched and this time it found the app and behaved itself.

Then I clicked the toolbar icon and instead of getting the usual pop-down interface with the lock etc, I just got a very minimal white box with no chrome containing a search field, one login entry, and a folder called logins. 1Password mini showed the same minimal interface.

I checked the logs in console and found that it was looking for a nib file in the 1Password.localized folder I'd removed earlier. I recreated the folder and put the app back into it. The errors stopped, but the user interface chrome remained missing even after relaunches of Safari and mini.

For good measure I rebooted, but it didn't help. I thought it was time to cut my losses and start again, so I dragged the app to the trash and emptied it.

I launched the app store, logged in and found the 1Password app in my purchases, but it was flagged as 'Installed', even though I'd deleted it. I found various suggestions saying that holding option could force a re-download, but that didn't work. In looking for an 'uninstall' option, I found the small 'x' icon in the purchases list. Thinking this might uninstall, I clicked it. Bad idea. It removed it from my purchases list without confirmation. I searched for the app again, and found that it was showing as unpurchased, i.e. that I would need to re-buy to install it again. I checked on my other machines and found it had gone from purchased lists on them too.

So now I'm up the creek.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This tip (on Macworld OS X Hints) should help you restore your now hidden app store purchase.

Stephen

• Synchro
    Synchro
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. After re-enabling it, reinstalling, it's all happy now and has installed in the right place, and the chrome has reappeared in mini and browser plugins.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad it worked for you @Synchro.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.