Fill form without going to different URL

Options
rowatt
rowatt
Community Member

Sometimes I want to fill in form fields on a site different from the site where I originally saved the form details. I can search and find the info in the browser extension, but if I ask 1P to fill in, it opens a new tab at the original URL, rather than attempting to fill in on the page I was on.

I'm sure this must have been asked/answered before, but my search-fu isn't on form today... is there some way to do this?

I realise I can add a URL to the save details (or edit the original one), but sometimes I just want to fill in fields on a new site straight from already saved details.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rowatt,

It sounds like what you might be looking for is Identities. Identities is the other magical-filling category in 1Password. You can fill in as much or as little information in an Identity as you wish, then to fill it in on any website, simply go to the Mini and select the appropriate Identity. 1Password will fill all relevant fields.

Please let me know if this meets your needs ... or perhaps I need to upgrade my forum-reading-fu ;)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @rowatt!

In addition to @Megan's suggestion, if what you'd like to do is open site X and fill it with details from Login item Y there's currently no way to do it directly. One method of doing it is to open and anchor a 1P mini window for site Y, then copy/paste details from there into the site X page. Or for more repeated usage add site Y's URL to the site X's Login item, as documented in Add multiple URLs to a Login item, which I think you already know.

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the ideas.

@Megan identities could work, so thanks for the idea, but normally this is more of a one off/occasional thing and so setting up an identity would be more effort than it's worth.

@sjk copy/paste is what I do now, it's just that for a form with lots of fields it's a pain.

Well... at least I didn't miss some trick. I guess this becomes a feature suggestion then.

One way to achieve this might be to stay on the same page if, say I hold down shift/cmd/opt/whatever when selecting the login from the browser extension. A nice extra to that might be that after submitting the form 1P could ask if I wanted to add that URL to my existing login form.

In the meantime, back to copy/paste :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @rowatt.

Do you have any examples of sites that you'd like to fill with details from an existing item? Is this is something you're doing fairly often, but with different details for different sites? If we better understand your specific usage case then maybe we can come up with a good solution for it. Sounds like it would be helpful if you at least had a way to add additional website (URL) fields to Login items directly from 1P mini/extension; is that correct?

Thanks!

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

This issue primarily falls into two use cases for me:-

1. the domain for a site I have a login for changes. While it doesn't happen every day, it does happen quite regularly, for example a site changing from .co.uk to .com, or a site changing from companyname.zendesk.com to help.companyname.com.

2. in the course of development/testing of web sites I am filling in forms but the URL changes from time to time (e.g. from local dev to staging or staging to live). Those forms could be anything. This doesn't happen so often for me, but when it does it's a lot of fields.

You are right... a simple way of adding the current browser URL to an existing login would be perfect for those cases.

I also occasionally find I want to use login details for one site on another as a one off... adding the URL would be OK, but a one off way to use details X for from Y would be the simplest for that I think.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2014
    Options

Thanks for making your issue clearer with those usage cases, @rowatt.

I wasn't sure when you'd want to use the same Login item details with different sites although even something like reusing Facebook and other "social media/network" credentials in multiple locations is commonplace now. Guess I'm still mostly "old school" in preferring unique accounts everywhere whenever possible? :)

I'm filing requests for 1) adding the currently browsed site to an existing Login item and 2) using another Login item's details on the currently browsed site, both from 1P mini/extension. Would that functionality address what you'd like to do and/or is there anything I've missed?

ref: OPM-1089, OPM-1090, OPX-581

• rowatt
    rowatt
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk that sounds great, thanks.

Using a Facebook (or whatever) login on multiple sites is also a good use case for this too, though like you I'm mostly old school :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @rowatt. These features could be useful for whichever school someone's in. :)

This discussion has been closed.