Help with iCloud / Dropbox keychain conflict

Options
Gebo
Gebo
Community Member

Hello all,

My apologies if this is covered in the forum elsewhere - I searched and wasn't able to find this issue, but may have missed it.

My 1Password dropbox keychain is a bit messed up - here's what I think happened, though I don't quite know the fastest way to fix it:

I bought a new iPad, set it up as a fresh device, and downloaded 1Password onto it. By default, it appears to have synced with iCloud (it did this before I told it to sync with anything). I use Dropbox. It appears that I must have had an old 1Password keychain on iCloud, and my new iPad must have synced to that. When I changed the sync preference on my new iPad to Dropbox, it must have pushed a bunch of outdated old passwords into all of my logins fields on my Dropbox keychain. As a result, my previously accurate Dropbox version of the keychain moved all my correct passwords into 'conflict' fields, and populated all the 'password' fields with all my old, incorrect passwords. Then, all my other devices immediately synced to this updated, now incorrect, Dropbox keychain.

Now, when I want to log into anything, I have to manually copy the correct password from the conflict field and manually paste it where it goes on the webpage.

I do have 1Password backup files on my laptop from just before the new iPad was setup, and they appear to be correct. I have tried to revert to the backup on my Mac (which works fine), but then it shuts off sync as it restores. As soon as I turn sync to Dropbox back on, the (incorrect) Dropbox version takes precedence and overwrites my restored Mac version.

Should I just go on to dropbox and delete the entire 1Password keychain, THEN restore the backup onto my Mac, THEN restore Dropbox sync to copy it across from my Mac? It seems like that would work, but I'm afraid I'll mess something up if I do that, so I wanted to check first. I have tried to find how to resolve conflicts, but I have lots of logins and don't want to go one at a time...

Thanks for any help!

Gebo

Comments

• Gebo
    Gebo
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry - I should have also stated: I have 1Password 4 for Mac, and 1Password 4 for iOS. All latest versions of the software.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Gebo,

Thanks for describing your situation so clearly. I'm sorry for the trouble you've been having getting your database synced up, but we should be able to get this fixed for you fairly quickly, and your idea is pretty much spot on.

Since you do have a backup from just before the iPad was set up, we'll work on getting things restored to that point.

On all iOS devices using 1Password:

• Disable Dropbox sync

On your Mac:

• Disable Dropbox sync in 1Password
    • Open a Finder window to ~/Dropbox/1Password, find your 1Password.agilekeychain file and drag it to the desktop
      (Please note this is the default location for your keychain file. If you are unable to locate it, please let me know!)

• Restore from the appropriate 1Password backup

• Re-enable Dropbox sync
    • Wait for Dropbox to complete its sync (you'll see a green checkmark next to the blue box icon)

On your iOS devices:

• Delete 1Password 4 for iOS
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html
    • Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via Dropbox

This should get things all sorted out for you - please let me know if you run into any snags in the process :)

• Gebo
    Gebo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - this has fixed the problem. I'm all set.

• bp33
    bp33
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same issue, but didn't realize it until some of my passwords stopped working. I'd made changes since, and was not sure what version of the backup was pre-merge, so I was wary of doing a restore.

A Smart Folder to the rescue! Search All Items where Conflict fields are present. Voilà, a much more manageable list to deal with.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bp33,

I'm so glad to hear you found a solution - smart folders are a pretty wonderful tool! :)

This discussion has been closed.