"Keep me signed in" check boxes

Options
bealeo
bealeo
Community Member

Hi,

On sites which have checkboxes for "keep me signed in" or "remember me", if these are ticked when I enter my details using 1Password on the login screens, does this make the sites less secure because each time in the future the site will log me in? I am using Safari and am worried that my password is being stored in cookies when these boxes are ticked.

Any help / advice appreciated,

Thanks,

Ian

Comments

• bealeo
    bealeo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I am running 1Password 4 on the Mac and have given it my Facebook, eBay and AgileBits Discussions login details. However, each time I load these sites up after this first time (including after a full system shutdown) they do not prompt for my username and password or the 1Password master password, I am just logged in. Sites like iCloud and Twitter do ask for the passwords each time.

Do you know why this is happening, and should I be concerned? Seems to me like anyone could use my Facebook or eBay accounts, which isn't very secure.

Have I done something wrong, do you think?

Thanks,

Ian

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bealeo. I've merged your two related topics, with the newest ending up before the oldest so please accept my apology for that. Looks like your first post here mostly answers your own original questions now in your second post. If anyone's done something wrong it was me. :)

There are vast amounts of information about cookies and privacy around the internet, with Wikipedia's HTTP cookie page being one possible starting point. And the Cookies section in AgileBits Privacy Policy explains our own usage of them.

1Password for Mac has no direct interaction with cookies so your question of their usage is primarily a browser issue. Here's something @khad suggested:

You can use Safari's Private Browsing mode, Chrome's Incognito Mode, or Firefox's Private Browsing. These features are built right into the browsers and will not record cookies or history while using them. There are also many robust extensions for all three browsers that can help you manage your privacy. Ghostery is a popular one.

If you enter one of those browser privacy modes before login on sites with options like Keep me signed in or Remember me enabled then the next time you visit those sites you won't be logged in automatically because a cookie wasn't saved during previous privacy mode usage.

Or you can explicitly log out of those sites before closing your browser to prevent automatic login on the next visit.

If you've created Login items in 1Password while options like Keep me signed in or Remember me were enabled you can remove their corresponding fields under Show web form details while editing an item, e.g.:

However, even with fields like those removed from 1Password Login items some sites will still insist on enabling the options by default.

I hope those few things are helpful with your 1Password usage.

This discussion has been closed.