How to merge a vault

Options
jamesbryantuk
jamesbryantuk
Community Member

Hi we are a small office and we all now use 1password.

When I set this up on my machine I had 3 vaults, primary, management and users.

The idea that all users would have access to the user vault and the management (2 of us) would have access to both management and users.

So anyway its all got a bit complicated and really I just want to merge the management into the users vault. How do we do that?

When that is complete each machine will have a primary vault (empty) and the users vault. How do we get rid of the primary vault and just have the users vault?

We are sharing via dropbox.

This is a great product, but maybe you could adapt it to work better for the small business? For example granting users access to a vault that can be revoked.

Hope the above makes sense

Thanks

James

Comments

• Jasper
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hey @jamesbryantuk, I don't know of any way to simply "merge" the entire vaults together - but one of these methods should work for you:

Send single items from one vault to another

To send a particular item to another vault, select the item and use the Item > Share menu, then select the vault name.

As an alternative to the menu option, you can click the Share icon in the item’s details pane, then select the vault name in the menu.

Export all items to .1pif and import to other vault

Iif you have a ton of items, the first method might be a lot of work. In that case, I would recommend exporting one of the vaults to a 1Password interchange file (File > Export > All Items...), then importing all the items into the other vault (File > Import). Please note that the .1pif file is not encrypted, so be sure to delete it once you're done with it and use the secure empty trash option (Finder > Secure Empty Trash).

This is a great product, but maybe you could adapt it to work better for the small business? For example granting users access to a vault that can be revoked.

Since 1Password is an encryption app and not a hosted service, it isn't as simple as merely "granting access" to another user on 1Password's end. The app simply doesn't have access to your data in that way.

Hope that helps! :D

This discussion has been closed.