"Beta Build Expired" message

Options
DBrown
DBrown
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: ReInstall 1Psswrd... License?.

Comments

• sawxray
    sawxray
    Community Member
    Options

What?

I upgraded to Maverick, and got some message about the 'beta expiring,' even though I have a licensed product. No explanation about what to do.

I read through some forums, re-download the software, and now I have 1Password installed, even though I did not delete the prior 'beta.'

Now there is no option to add the license key. Just choices to 'Buy,' (already purchased) and 'Add License…,' with no way to find some file that I should look for. I don't know the name of such a file.

I read through a long thread on multiple people having this issue, and finally threw up my hands.

Sorry, but this is not at all intuitive, and there are no explanations along the way. If you were going to change from the normal pattern, at least add some help.

What do I do now?

• I'm sorry for the trouble @sawxray. The "Beta Build Expired" message accidentally appeared in version 4.0.2 and is fixed in the latest version. Please see sjk's post for upgrade instructions for confirmed steps on how to fix this and my follow up comment for and explanation of what happened.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sawxray, I'm moving your post (and Dave's response) to the 1Password for Mac area in the forum.

• cooler
    cooler
    Community Member
    Options

I also received the beta build message and had never installed the beta. I upgraded from version 3 to version 4 on my two macs. I had also upgraded to version 4 on May two iOS devices several months ago. Everything has gone well until I tried to open the application on one of my macs and I received the beta message and could not proceed further on that machine, although the mini still worked and I was able to use it from all three of my browsers. The machine in question is running version 4.0.2 and I just updated my main machine to 4.0.5. Everything appears to be synching just fine. Can I just try to install 4.0.5 on my other Mac? Any suggestions?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, I believe so, @cooler. As Dave posted above, 4.0.2 wasn't really a beta build, and 4.0.5 doesn't have the problem that causes the false warning.

Please let us know how it goes!

• cooler
    cooler
    Community Member
    Options

Success! I downloaded 4.0.5 and dragged it to the applications folder to replace the old 4.0.2 version masquerading a beta .
    Before doing that I turned off 1PW4 mini and it was replaced with the new installation.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cooler,

Thanks for letting us know that you got things straightened out! If we can be of any further assistance, we're here for you :)

• canoncito
    canoncito
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for making all this so clear. However, when following the instructions on the main Agile1Pass Knowledgebase page, it asks me to quit 1Password Mini in my browser (Chrome): "Then select the Quit 1Password mini menu item as shown here." BUT, that bottom menu item, the quit item, does not appear when I click on the settings button.

I note that the instructions here in the Discussion forum doesn't mention quitting the Mini.....so, is it fine to ignore that step of the Knowledgebase instructions?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @canoncito!

It's a little hard to see in the screen shot in the article, but you have to hold down the Control key while viewing the File menu in order to see that longer "double quit" command. I'd quit both, just on principle. :)

I hope that helps.

• canoncito
    canoncito
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I was using the browser-toolbar-key-icon, and not getting that option. Unfortunately, I chose NOT to show 1PasswordMini's icon on my main menu bar, so I can't replicate the screenshot's approach. I don't see a path to turn Mini's menu bar icon, and with 1Password no longer letting me launch the app, I can't go in the prefs to change it there!

Any other workaround, or should I just do a reinstall of the main app, and omit the "turning off mini" step, per the "sjk" instructions here?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @canoncito. Even though you might have installed a non-expired 1P4 by now I want to followup about this for whoever's still interested …

I apologize for omitting and any confusion about what to do with 1P mini before replacing the expired 1P4 application, especially when you have no way to quit it from itself. :)

You can quit it from Activity Monitor or by running this command in a Terminal window:

killall -v 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

… which will output something like kill -TERM 13982 if successful.

Then update the 1P4 application. And restart the system after that.

• Robb1
    Robb1
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue and unfortunately I'm unable to quit 1P Mini in order to update the software. I'm using the kill command in Terminal (as root) and it just respawns itself with a different PID.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Robb1

You could alway's start in safe mode and then update the app.

• Robb1
    Robb1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @thightower. I don't know why I always forget about safe mode.

This discussion has been closed.