1Password 3 and 4 (MAS) coexistence and 1PasswordAnywhere in Safari

Options
wifisyncer
wifisyncer
Community Member

Hello,

I've just upgraded from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4, both from the Mac App Store.

Upon update, I've faced a problem with OS X telling me that the app was damaged and I had to redownload from the Mac App Store. So I went and moved 1Password to the trash and launched the App Store to reinstall the application. But I was requested my Store password but how could I recover it since it is stored in 1Password which I just trashed? Easy way was to try an open the 1Password 3 keychain in Safari: not possible, since I get the error "Problem loading 1Password data file"! Luckily enough I have a Time Machine and an iOS device handy so I could access the password I need, but since I now have other friends and relatives to upgrade I would like to avoid the problems I faced and mistakes I may have made. Hence the following questions:

• Is there a way to keep a copy of v3 (MAS) before upgrading to v4 (MAS)? Would it be enough to copy 1Pwd v3, say, to the desktop so it is accessible (and usable) in case of problems with v4?

• I understand 1PasswordAnywhere is not available with the new 1Pwd 4 file format, unless Dropbox is used. I'm ok with that for the moment, but I'm not a Dropbox user and I would still like to open the old 1Pwd 3 keychain in Safari (or Firefox) and looks like it's not possible now. Do you know of a way around this? How to allow Safari to open local files?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@wifisyncer

Is there a way to keep a copy of v3 (MAS) before upgrading to v4 (MAS)? Would it be enough to copy 1Pwd v3, say, to the desktop so it is accessible (and usable) in case of problems with v4?

When you update using the MAS, it will replace the old version. But, you can download the AgileBits website version, which is practically the same.

Here are links to AgileBits website versions of 1Password:

Download 1Password 3.8.21 (direct link)

Download 1Password 4

While you do need a license code (v3) or license file (v4) to use them forever, they both have an unrestricted 30 free trial mode - which should suit your situation just fine.

I understand 1PasswordAnywhere is not available with the new 1Pwd 4 file format, unless Dropbox is used. I'm ok with that for the moment, but I'm not a Dropbox user and I would still like to open the old 1Pwd 3 keychain in Safari (or Firefox) and looks like it's not possible now. Do you know of a way around this? How to allow Safari to open local files?

To access 1PasswordAnywhere on the web, you will need to use Dropbox. But you can also use it locally in Safari by changing a setting:

Select Develop > Disable Local File Restrictions from the menu bar. (You will need to enable the Develop menu first if you haven't already. This is done by checking the box for "Show Develop menu in menu bar" on the Advanced pane in Safari's preferences.)

Hope that helps! :D

• wifisyncer
    wifisyncer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @JasperP for your suggestions.

The suggestion to use the website version in Trial mode as an emergency tool is a great one in case I have problems with the upgrade on other friends' Mac. I did not think about this! Thanks for bringing this up.

As for 1PasswordAnywhere usage in Safari, the Setting you mention is exactly what I was looking for. I already had the Developer menu enabled but I must have been looking with the wrong eye because I did not see the option to disable the Local File Restrictions until you mentioned it.

So all my questions answered, thanks again! :-)

• You're welcome, @wifisyncer. Glad I could help.

This discussion has been closed.