Using 1P outside its own browser on iOS

Options
ATC
ATC
Community Member

I appologise in advance if this has already been discussed but I tried searching online and I've gotten nowhere. Even the in depth reviews of 1P for iOS don't mention what I'm looking for.

I already have 1P ver 4 for Mac and use it a lot (have tons of user names and passwords stored) and I enabled iCloud Sync within the app although I haven't yet purchased the iOS version.

I understand the 1P iOS app has its own browser. What I'm trying to figure out is how 1P is used on an iPhone (iOS 7) to enter user data and passwords into 3rd party apps (e.g. a stand-alone Banking app) and also in the main Safari browser (not the one inside 1P).

For example, how would I enter my 1P stored user data into my banking app or into the regular safari browser? Is there a copy/paste mechanism or something easier maybe?

Also, on a separate note, when I purchase 1P for iOS, would all my 1P data from my Mac automatically migrate into the iOS version (I have iCloud sync enabled on 1P on my Mac)?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ATC,

Unfortunately Apple has some pretty strict regulations in place regarding how apps can interact with each other on the iOS platform. Individual apps need to give 1Password permission to do anything in their app. (It's called sandboxing - each app is only allowed to 'play' in their own sandbox unless invited into another app's sandbox.) So, unless your banking app allows 1Password to jump in and fill your information for you, the easiest way to use 1Password on your mobile device is to copy and paste your passwords into any third party apps. The same applies to mobile Safari: Apple would need to provide us a way to add our extension to the browser, and they don't currently do so. This is why we have 1Browser as a part of 1Password 4 for iOS, to allow you a more convenient and integrated browsing experience with all your 1Password data at your fingertips.

There are some apps that have added direct 1Password integration to help make your mobile life even easier. You can check them out here: http://blog.agilebits.com/1password-apps/

When you load 1Password for the first time on your iOS device, it will automatically check iCloud for any existing data. Once it finds your data, it will simply prompt you for your Master Password and you'll be all set! :)

• ATC
    ATC
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, that answered all my questions.

Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome @ATC,

If you think of any more questions - we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.