Can't move item to a folder

Options
AlexLe
AlexLe
Community Member

I found a couple of threads with the same issue, but in my case neither software nor Mac restart didn't help. So I would be really glad if I can finally move an item from "Logins" section into a certain folder. Drag & drop doesn't function.

Bought 1P4 today in a MacStore and really need this feature to sort my passwords out in a more efficient way.

Thx!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is fixed in Mac App Store version 4.0.7, which is apparently awaiting Apple's approval.

Stephen

• Liberlike
    Liberlike
    Community Member
    Options

I am using 4.0.9 version purchased from the company not from Apple Store. Still I am unable to drag and drop. Is there any other way to move an item?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, the release notes for 4.0.7 say:

Fixed problem where it was not possible move items to folders.

I thought that related to the problem being discussed. What are you trying to drag and drop between, @Liberlike (for example, category to folder, between your own custom folders)? You're not using smart folders, by any chance, are you? I believe you can't drag things in and out of smart folders (which is logical, because they are saved searches).

Stephen

• Liberlike
    Liberlike
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks @Stephen for your prompt response!
    Under Categories > Logins (is this called also Folder, because I find there is separate Folders also) in the left sidebar I have 127 items. I thought I would rearrange some of these items into suitable sub-titles (Folders) under Categories. For instance the bank account Logins can easily should go under Bank Accounts. When I select a bank account presently under Logins and drag into Bank Account it is NOT dropped therein. Then how do I proceed to classify the items under Categories? For your info I am not using any 'smart folder' ! Thanks!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

It does sound to me (and sorry if I misunderstood) that you're actually trying to move items from one category to another. 1P4 doesn't currently support that, which is why you're having a problem. :)

Stephen

• Liberlike
    Liberlike
    Community Member
    Options

Ah ! Its utmost convenient feature I think that 1P4 – undoubtedly an advanced system – should possess. Any idea of its being introduced in the near future? Till that time I am re-writing as a new item under Categories and thereafter deleting the (old) item. This is indeed strenuous!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

For now, the best way to change the category of an item is to anchor the old one with 1Password mini, and display it along the new one.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Liberlike,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm glad to hear that @Stephen_C was able to help sort out your issue!

We are looking at a way to make it easier to change an item from one category to another, but this is not a simple thing to do. Each type of item has different default fields, some of which are required for the item to behave correctly: Logins and Identities in particular have specific fields that can be filled into online forms. Changing a Bank Account into a Login, for example, would require that the 'username' and 'password' field are correctly identified so that the Login can fill in on the website.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but for now you will have to copy and paste your current details into a new entry if you want to change an item's category. As @Xe997 says, anchoring the details using 1Password Mini can make this process a lot smoother.

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

How long will the update take, and also is it possible for us to see which new logins have been added recently into 1Password? I might have ten - 20 that have not made it into a folder which is quite a hassle because there is no way to determine whether a login is 'folder less'.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits (rightly in my view) won't make any specific promise about the date any enhancement might be available. It's very easy to see your most recent items. Highlight the category you want to check (or, indeed, All Items), click on the down arrowhead on the bar directly below the search box and choose Date Created.

Stephen

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks. I'll have a look at that then.

Is there any way to see whether any items are not in a folder?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As I use only one folder I've not really been able to test this, but have you tried Folder is [blank] in search options? (As I say, it's not clear to me whether that works, you'll just have to test it.)

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.