Syncing through iTunes?

Options
Timothy Arends
Timothy Arends
Community Member

Hello,

I just got a new iPad Air and purchased 1Password for iOS to go with the one on my Mac.

Launching 1Password for iOS, I see that WIFI sync is incompatible with both 1Password 3 and my version of OSX, so I must use iTunes. (I am not a current DropBox user).

Tapping the Transfer through iTunes button in 1Password, I am taken to Apple's page on file sharing, which doesn't say which file I am supposed to share for 1Password. Is it the data.1pif file?

I exported that from 1Password and brought it into iTunes but 1Password on the iPad still brings me to the "Welcome" screen when launched.

I looked at the 1Password help section on my Mac under "Use 1Password anywhere!" and found these topics:

• Sync your data across multiple Macs
• Configure Dropbox syncing
• Use Dropbox to get automatic syncing with your iOS devices
• 1PasswordAnywhere: For when you’re away from your Mac

But it didn't say anything about syncing through iTunes. How do I do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I use iTunes to transfer my keychain to my iPad and phone so maybe it will be helpful if I tell you how I do it.

1. I usually connect by cable simply because it's quicker than using wifi with iTunes but if you have Sync by wifi enabled in iTunes you can use wifi.
    2. I always delete my data on the iPad or phone first (Settings > Advanced) and (this is important) force close 1Password on the device (which avoids the new user message when you open 1Password again on the device).
    3. On the Mac, run iTunes and make sure you can see your device (iPad or phone).
    4. Highlight your device in iTunes (left panel) and then go to the App tab.
    5. Scroll right down the page to the File Sharing section of the Apps page. Click on 1Password under the list of apps.
    6. In the right hand box you can then click on Add to add your keychain automatically to your device. (It's the 1Password.agilekeychain that you need to transfer.)

I hope that's all reasonably clear! If anything isn't, please ask for clarification.

Stephen

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

Just to be clear, iTunes File Sharing isn't a "sync" solution. You'll need to manually transfer the data file back and forth between Mac and iOS each time you want to update the data from one to the other. It’s more of a transfer, so you replace the data on your iPad with the data on the Mac (or vice-versa).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @JasperP. I should have made that clear. :(

Stephen

• @Stephen_C Not a problem, just wanted to make sure that Timothy was clear on that (don't want him to lose any data in his transfering). Besides that you've given excellent intructions for him! :D

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

If 1Password 4 for Mac is using Dropbox sync, which 1Password.agilekeychain should we use to give to the iOS device in iTunes? Should it be the one in the root of the Dropbox folder? Else the one in the 1Password folder? So, 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password>1Password.agilekeychain ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Sorry, I don't use Dropbox so I don't know the answer—but maybe a quick solution is to look at the time stamp on each file and see which one is most recent.

Edit: I see that @JasperP gave you a much more helpful answer to the same question here.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.