1Password and iTunes

Options
chazzunokuthunuchtec
chazzunokuthunuchtec
Community Member

It seems I can place 1Password.agilekeychain from 1Password 4 for Mac onto my iPhone (using iTunes), but going the other way doesn't seem to take. I do currently have 1Password for Mac sync with Dropbox, so 1Password.agilekeychain is in the Dropbox folder; but I only update the database on the iPhone manually (using iTunes).

If I open the iPhone view in iTunes and go to the apps tab, I can select the 1Password app. If I want to update the database on the iPhone or iPad I click "Add" and it lets me choose 1Password.agilekeychain from the dropbox folder on the iMac. But if I want to update the database on the iMac it appears to start the file save, and the date/time modified updates, but when finished the date/time modified reverts back to what it was on the iMac and I can verify it truly doesn't save from the iOS device to the iMac.

Is this intentional? Is there a way this may be written both ways?

Comments

• @chazzunokuthunuchtec Just to be clear, iTunes File Sharing isn't a "sync" solution. You'll need to manually transfer the data file back and forth between Mac and iOS each time you want to update the data from one to the other. It’s more of a transfer, so you replace the data on your iPad with the data on the Mac (or vice-versa).

See if this discussion helps you at all (mainly post #2 by @Stephen_C).

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Got it. Not a sync. But it seems to be one-way: going from the Mac to the iOS device. It doesn't seem to go the other way. Is this intentional?

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@chazzunokuthunuchtec I don't personally use iTunes file sharing for 1Password, but I'm quite certain that it can be done both from Mac to iOS and from iOS to Mac.

See if this support article helps at all:

Getting Started with iTunes File Sharing

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Thank you JasperP. Thus far I've been using 1Password.agilekeychain (in the root of the Dropbox app folder), but there is also a 1Password folder with a 1Password.agilekeychain file in it. Of these two (in the root of Dropbox, or in the folder) which should I use in the iTunes file sharing?

• Jasper
    edited November 2013
    Options

@chazzunokuthunuchtec I just responded about that issue on your other discussion: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/94234/#Comment_94234

Maybe that has something to do with your iTunes file sharing issue too.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

I'm glad to hear that @JasperP has been helping you get set up with iTunes File Sharing.

I'd like to help you sort out this multiple keychain issue. Just so you are aware, the default location of your keychain in Dropbox should be Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. However, before you go moving things around or deleting files, you want to look at 1Password on your Mac in Preferences > Sync and check to see if 1Password is syncing to the Dropbox/1Password folder, or if it is syncing to the root of Dropbox. Once you have determined which keychain is being used, you can move the other 1Password.agilekeychain file out of Dropbox. (You might want to store it on your desktop or in an alternate location, just until you are certain that things are still running smoothly.

If you would like some help in determining which keychain is active, please let me know, and we'll have you send in a Diagnostic Report to support so we can take a closer look at your system. :)

This discussion has been closed.