newby question: does 1 Password create new passwords?

Options
Susan Spear Russo
Susan Spear Russo
Community Member

I just installed 1PW and tried following the directions for adding logins to the vault. I logged into a site and then then clicked the 1PW extension icon. Does it automatically generate a new secure password or do I have to do something else? I saw a bar indicating the strength of the passwords and they were not impressive.

Comments

• 1Password has a password generator that can be accessed in the browser extension; it should look something like this:

Adjusting the length slider and password recipe will change the strength of the password. Then you can choose to fill (into password field on current page) or copy it.

If you're new to 1Password, this article might help you out too:

1Password 4 Basics

• Susan Spear Russo
    Susan Spear Russo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I did read that document, but it doesn't even mention using the generator.

• You're welcome. I realize that the article doesn't mention the password generator, I just thought it might help you out as a new user if you hadn't seen it yet. :D

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Susan Spear R… wrote:

I did read that document, but it doesn't even mention using the generator.

In the absence of better 1Password 4 documentation--which I think is at least unfortunate--you might consider "Take Control of 1Password (1.0)" takecontrolbooks.com/1password. (Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Take Control Books; I'm only a satisfied customer.)

David

• Susan Spear Russo
    Susan Spear Russo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, DavidB. I bought the book and look forward to learning how to use 1PW. I am software ae tech writing and must say I am very unimpressed with the doc for 1PW.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Susan.

I'm sorry you had trouble finding information about the Password Generator for 1Password 4. It's briefly mentioned in this document:

Welcome to 1Password 4

Selecting Help > Welcome to 1Password 4 in the main 1Password application opens a window displaying that document. After selecting Web Browsers on the left scroll a bit to Strong Password Generator.

Other information, including Tutorials and Knowledgebase, is available here:

Welcome to 1Password 4 for Mac

And of course what @JasperP and @DavidB already helpfully suggested, e.g. Joe Kissell's Take Control of 1Password ebook.

We welcome any ideas you have for how we could improve our documentation. And if there's anything else we can help you with please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.