How do you create a shared vault?

Options
mikereaganmusic
mikereaganmusic
Community Member

I see how to create a new vault, but how do I create a shared vault and then assign a password to that shared vault? I want to share certain logins with employees for a few items.

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mikereaganmusic,

You can check out our article on How to share a non-primary vault for instructions - with pictures! :)

I do want to mention though, as it states on our Known Issues page, multiple vaults is currently a Mac-only feature, so we do not recommend syncing your non-primary vaults if you use 1Password 4 for iOS.

• Kylereilly
    Kylereilly
    Community Member
    Options

When will shared vaults work with iOS? You advertise a feature, one that looks very exciting, but you launch the product and it isn't fully functional.... I LOVE 1PW, this feature really needs to get working.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kylereilly,

I'm so glad you are excited by the possibilities of multiple vaults - I'm right there with you!

Unfortunately, I can't give any details on "when" an unreleased feature like multiple vaults for iOS will be ready. There are just too many factors that can influence things like this, many of which are completely beyond our control. I'd hate to say "we'll have this for you on (insert optimistic/realistic/cautious date here)" and then not be able to deliver. Broken promises are not a fun way to do business.

I can tell you that many people are just as excited as you and I are, and this is high on our priority list. We'll release it just as soon as it is all polished and ready. :) We really appreciate your patience.

• scottpatz
    scottpatz
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I have a questions. Maybe I just don't understand or know how to use the vaults properly.....

My wife and I both use 1Password. Lets say we want to share my Amazon.com credentials. I create the shared vault, put the Amazon.com credentials into the vault, and share the vault. Now if my wife want to access the vault, she has to actually go into 1Password and switch FROM her Primary value TO the vault to retrieve or autofill the Amazon.com credentials, THEN she needs to remember to switch back to her Primary vault so she can continue to use 1Password for the rest of her websites. That is a LOT of workflow AND a total pain to have to switch back and forth. Is there (or there should be) a way to access both/all of the vaults that she has the master password for.

Additionally, it would be nice if I could "share" a password with a vault from my Primary vault instead of relinquishing the password entirely into the shared vault, that way if I change/update the credentials they are update to the shared vault.

I LOVE the ideas of being able to share credentials. However the work of switch back and forth on both ends between Primary and shared vaults in addition to the complexity of updating credentials makes the feature almost useless to me.

Please consider updating.

Thanks,

Scott

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @scottpatz,

I'll do my best to clarify vaults for you.

Now if my wife want to access the vault, she has to actually go into 1Password and switch FROM her Primary value TO the vault to retrieve or autofill the Amazon.com credentials

Yes, if you have multiple vaults enabled, you will have to switch between vaults to access the data is stored in the vault. Currently you can do this either via the Main App or the Mini, simply by clicking on the vault icon in the top menu bar. We are looking at possibly adding keyboard shortcuts to this in the future to make it even easier. If you think that keyboard shortcuts sound awesome and you don't want to wait, you can enable them yourself in System Preferences. :)

Additionally, it would be nice if I could "share" a password with a vault from my Primary vault instead of relinquishing the password entirely into the shared vault, that way if I change/update the credentials they are update to the shared vault.

At this point, sharing items does not keep them in sync. We've heard feedback similar to this from other users, and I'll certainly pass along your feedback as well.

However, I'd just like to offer this suggestion: if you are finding that switching between vaults is too much hassle, you and your wife are welcome to share your entire database. You can use Tags and Smart Folders and a careful naming scheme to keep your data organized within one database. If you would like some helping merging your database with your wife's I'd be happy to help!

Please let me know if you do have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.