New passwords created in 1Password 4 for mac labeled as "old" on IOS7 devices

Options
PeterK
PeterK
Community Member

I recently updated to 1Password 4 on my Mac and decided it was time to strengthen all my lame passwords. Went down the list changing dozens, then found that the new passwords were not showing up as current on my iPhone or iPad. They do appear, but they show up as "conflicts". When I check the dates of the new passwords, they are labeled as far older, even 4 or 9 years old (obviously impossible). I'm syncing with dropbox. What's going on? I've checked the forums and don't find anything like this.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PeterK,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulties getting 1Password organized! It sounds like 1Password wasn't sure which data was more up-to-date between your iOS and your Mac. This can happen if you haven't performed a sync in a while.

Your best course of action here is to perform some manual clean-up. Test out each of the Logins with conflicts to determine if the current information is correct. If it's not, replace the password with the 'conflict' one ... if it is correct, simply delete the conflict information.

I hope this helps! :)

• PeterK
    PeterK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I was thinking that would be the most straightforward way to put things right. What I'm left puzzled by though is how the newer data got seen as older. I recall having originally configured 1Password 4 on my mac to sync with iCloud, not recalling I had my iOS devices set for Dropbox, and then changing all to Dropbox which seemed to make my syncing work until I noticed this issue. Does this explain anything?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PeterK,

Thanks for clarifying that! Changing sync settings could explain where things got muddled.

So, lets' see if we can talk this through. The password database on your Mac is syncing to iCloud. You make changes to this database by adding some fancy passwords. Now, you realize that your iOS devices are syncing via Dropbox, so you change your sync settings on the Mac to sync via Dropbox. When 1Password on your Mac merges the databases, it might see the Dropbox information as 'new' because you have just added it.

Does that make sense?

This discussion has been closed.