Duplicate pairs - same password and username

Options
TheSteve
TheSteve
Community Member

I searched and didn't see this issue addressed - apologies if I missed it...

Duplicate passwords are of course a concern but from my perspective it's only an issue when the same username and password are used for a login. It appears that the duplicate passwords audit only checks for duplicated passwords not duplicated password+username pairs. Is this correct?

If not how can I do a search for duplicate pairs? If this feature does not exist do you have any plans to add this feature?

Regards,
Steve

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Steve ( @TheSteve ),

From a security perspective, it can be a concern whenever you use the same password for more than one site, whether or not your username is the same. Using the Security Audit's Duplicate Passwords search will include the instances where you have also used the same username. :)

• TheSteve
    TheSteve
    Community Member
    Options

FYI - reply received today from my email to support. Non-tech text redacted

Thank you [...]

You are correct about the nature of security audit panel in 1Password 4 for Mac. It only checks for duplicated passwords, but not duplicated password and username as a pairs.

I agree with you about having an audit check on password+username pairs. I've jotted down your feedback in my feature request reports to my team. :)

[...]

The request was whether 1Password can specifically ID pairs not whether I could search through results to find pairs. Sounds like the first is false and the second is true. Hope to see this in the future.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @TheSteve.

Let's see if I can make this any clearer. :)

Here's an example of items listed in Duplicate Passwords:

All six of those items have identical passwords. Three, two, and one different item(s) each have the same unique username. The item "ID pair" there, if I understand what you'd be looking for, is Ars Technica and Amazon with the same wendy_appleseed username (underlined in blue) and password.

Searching for matching usernames with identical passwords is done manually. Sorting by username within duplicate password groupings and/or highlighting any matching usernames are possible enhancements to make matches easier to spot.

Even as it is now does that provide the results you want and is there anything I'm overlooking?

This discussion has been closed.