Backup folder

Options
danielramos
danielramos
Community Member

Just upgraded to version 4 and the license as well, the first thing was to check everything, but found one very important thing missing..
I can´t choose the backup folder location anymore, I used to keep the backup to google drive folder (my 1password for windows does the same)
Now the backup goes to ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups, it´s not really an automatic backup if I need to manually copy this folder to a google drive or some other place to keep it safe if something happens with my macbook or the dropbox data (there are a lot of passwords there, I need to be safe).
Any workaround to this?

Thanks

Comments

• Prolog
    Prolog
    Community Member
    Options

Yes You are right. I was missing this to. Because its simply not save, to make a backup on the same drive. This V4 is in this case a step backward!
    Hope Agilebits don't make the same miss take like Microschrott, and lesson to the user.
    They should also make clear, that a non Appstore App is not working with iCloud. It was even not showing up, like it would work.

• pONd74
    pONd74
    Community Member
    Options

I miss this function too!!!!!! It's so important to change the backup folder. :((

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2013
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

As you've discovered, it's not currently possible to change the location for automatic 1P4 backup files. Here's another topic discussing it:

Change Backup Location

As I mentioned in post #11, using Hazel (for example) to copy/move backup files to other locations will work with all versions. Note that @MartyS's symlink workaround in post #13 (which I'd briefly mentioned in #11) will not work with 1P4 MAS versions. And I haven't personally tested it with the non-MAS release and beta versions.

Also see @MIkeT's post (second paragraph): here.

Please let us know if you have other questions about this -- thanks!

• murrayE
    murrayE
    Community Member
    Options

It is REALLY annoying -- and DANGEROUS!!! -- to fix the backup location for 1Password 4. The preferences should allow the user to change this!!!!! And it should NOT be necessary to use some third-party utility to do this. It's just so obvious and so basic: separate backups from apps.

• @murrayE,

In our experience it is much safer to have a fixed backup location that is guaranteed to exist. We have seen many cases when the backup location was set to a removable drive that was no longer available. One of the crazy cases I have seen in 1Password 3.8 is when the backup location was somehow set to be inside .agilekeychain package, in this case, every new backup included all previously created backups and it size grew exponentially.

1Password is not a dedicated backup app and the simplest way would be the most reliable. In most cases, you would be using a dedicated backup application that could be configured to include the 1Password backup folder.

• Paul Holloway
    Paul Holloway
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem,

What you seem to be suggesting is that the sensible users amongst us, who decide to have their backups some place sensible where they're backed up somewhere completely different to main file location (e.g. sync using Dropbox, back up using Google Drive), now can't do that because some users have chosen a stupid backup location.

Considering how cool and clever the apps is, I'm really surprised that you can't come up with some way of letting the sensible users do their sensible thing whilst reducing the likelihood of stupidness happening.

You don't have to be a dedicated backup app to let a user decide where the backups should go.

• Hi Paul,

Unfortunately, the number of cases we've seen were very high, to the point where it wasn't acceptable. If it was just a few, we wouldn't do it in the first place. Considering the sensitivity and the security of the app's data, we have to take some actions to improve this.

This change isn't new to 1Password 4, we started doing this for 1Password 3.9.x a year ago when it was released at the Mac App Store and the number of cases declined dramatically, so this was a good change for us and majority of our customers.

We'll see if we can find a way to let power users change this without having such options in the main 1Password app.

• Paul Holloway
    Paul Holloway
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that, @MikeT. Keep up the great work.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, Paul. On behalf of @MikeT, you're quite welcome! :)

• rezzipza
    rezzipza
    Community Member
    Options

I don't agree with the logic of removing an option that is important to many users based on another set of users who change settings without considering the implications and potential risks of doing so. In response to users who assign blame for their own mistakes to the app itself, the response should be to consider what warnings should pop up when the customization option is selected, not to remove the option itself. I'm sure that users who want this option would have no problem having to read and clicking to acknowledge a dozen warnings about the risks of backing up to an external drive.

That said, the below are two alternatives that I believe would address AgileBits' desire to have a fixed backup location and yet allow users to have greater control over the location(s) of their backups:

(1) Create an option that would allow a user to designate a save location in addition to--as opposed to instead of--the current default. With this option checked, the app would save the backup in both locations.

(2) Create an option that would allow a user to designate the save folder, but limit the save location to the hard drive containing the operating system and 1Password. The user would then be able to designate a save location that is already being synced/backed up. (For example, all of my apps' backups are set to save in my /Documents/Backups/ folder on my computer, which is one of the few folders that is designed to sync/backup to an external drive on a daily basis. 1Password is the only app that doesn't permit me to direct backups to be saved in that location.)

Obviously, the first alternative would address a greater number of users' issues than the latter, although these possible solutions won't work for someone who wants to change the backup location because of a security concern about saving backups on the primary hard drive. Either, however, would be an improvement from the current absence of any backup location choice.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rezzipza,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, and the alternative ideas here. I'll be sure that they get passed along to our developers. In the meantime, I hope that some of the current workarounds available are useful to you. :)

• ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Found this topic after just upgraded to version 4 and looking for a answer as to how I could change the backup location. Guess I can stop looking now, lol...

Started using 1Password after getting my first macbook in 2010 and loving it ever since! Could not get my iPhone app to sync with dropbox anymore and kept getting a message that my version did not work with dropbox anymore or something along them lines.

So I uninstalled the 1Password app thinking I would just reinstall it and that is how I found the new iPhone app and from there the new Mac app. At first I was a little surprised that I had to pay for it again, but 1Password has been so helpful on a daily base for me in the last 3+ years that it did not take me long to decide it was worth paying for the upgrade to 1Password 4!

I can live with your decision to make the backup location fixed so we can't change it. After all you guys are the experts!

Been playing with the new 1Password 4 for the last few hours on my Mac and iPhone, really love'n it, thanks for everything!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi there @ApplianceJunk,

Thanks so much for the kind words! I do apologize that the Dropbox API change did not go smoothly for you, but I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying the new version. :)

This discussion has been closed.