Defining a secondary vault to be the default on one particular Mac

Options
lastfuture
lastfuture
Community Member

Hi,

I'm using 1Password at home and at work, and I've made it so that my primary vault are my private passwords that get synced via Dropbox but the secondary vault with work passwords is only local to my work machine. (to comply with company policy)

Now the inconvenience I'm trying to get rid of is that at work it always presents me with the primary vault first when unlocking in either 1Password Mini, the full blown app or the browser plugin. At work I usually want to keep my private passwords locked though. The way I'm currently getting around this is to click the lock on the password prompt and select the other vault manually, but I have to do that every time it needs unlocking and on top of that it always closes the pop-up so that I have to click on the icon of 1Passsword Mini or the browser extension a second time before I can enter the master password for the secondary vault.

I'd much rather have a way to set it up so that the vault it presents me with during master password entry is always the secondary (work) vault on that computer. 90% of the time that's the one I want to unlock at work, keeping my primary vault locked.

Any ideas if that is possible? If not, please consider this a feature request.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @lastfuture. Cool username. B-)

Thanks for the detailed description of your home/work vault usage and the issues.

Let's get this out of the way first. :)

… and on top of that it always closes the pop-up so that I have to click on the icon of 1Passsword Mini or the browser extension a second time before I can enter the master password for the secondary vault.

Here's the status on that:

[Request] Switching Vaults in Mini Does not close Mini [Yep, under investigation]

Currently it's not possible to select a secondary vault as the default to unlock. I'll make sure we're tracking a request for this.

At the moment the only "simple" workaround that comes to mind would be to make your primary home vault a secondary at work and your work-only vault the new primary. You may have already considered and rejected that because unlocking the primary also unlocks all secondary vaults which in your case would then (undesirably) always include your home vault at work.

Depending on your type of home vault usage at work, and policies there, other "tougher" workarounds would be to run another instance of 1P4 (with a primary home vault) either under the same account or a separate one that you could Fast User Switch into, If that would be a possibility I can elaborate more about either/both.

Other ideas get trickier and I'd want to research a bit first. Sort of in a "more effort or potential trouble for you than it's worth" category.

I'm sorry I don't have a better solution for you right now. If there's anything related to this or someone else I can help with please let me know.

• lastfuture
    lastfuture
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

thanks for the help. I think I'll keep doing what I am doing at the moment.

You're right, I've thought about and discarded the idea of switching primary and secondary vaults around because of the reason you brought forward.
    Running two instances sounds like it comes with its very own set of problems. For example I'd like to retain the possibility of autofilling logins via the Safari extension for either vault depending on the situation. If that's possible I'd like to hear more.

I also just had the idea of restricting my home vault strictly to 1Password anywhere, but after trying to log in through it it presented me with the error detailed here: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/1passwordanywhere_troubleshooting.html … however clicking the "key data file" link did lead me to an intact looking file containing what looks like a JSON object. That's of course a whole other problem in itself.

Any ideas about that particular problem? I am opening it in my DropBox folder and the filename of the keychain is 1Password.agilekeychain. To get to the login form I Show Package Contents and open the index.html file in Safari. The agilekeychain file does however not sit in Dropbox's root but in one subfolder called 1Pass.

Regards
    -- Peter

• lastfuture
    lastfuture
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, the html file I open is of course 1Password.html, there is no index.html. My mistake

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Peter ( @lastfuture ),

It's possible to use the MAS and website versions together under a single account, except autofilling is only active for one at a time depending on which version's 1P mini is enabled. That would probably mean relinquishing autofill with your home vault at work, essentially using that version as a viewer. Functional but suboptimal. And enabling/disabling 1P mini is more hassle than just to switching vaults.

Using 1PasswordAnywhere through the Dropbox website is currently the recommended method, avoiding issues like you've encountered. If you're able to do that it may be the most workable workaround for now. :)

1Password/1Password.agilekeychain under the Dropbox root folder is the preferred (and default) location but leaving it in your 1Pass subfolder is okay if you're not having problems with syncing.

This discussion has been closed.