Syncing problems with Dropbox

Options
dvoelker13
dvoelker13
Community Member

About 2 weeks ago, I tried to change to iCloud sync, and it didn't work at all. (There have been a couple of software updates since. It may work now.)

I switched back to Dropbox sync, but it took about 2 hours of troubleshooting to get sync working again. I ended up needing to delete 1Password on my macs and iOS devices in order to start with a clean slate. (This was after I tried and tried and tried to get sync working through less extreme measures, such as turning sync on and off, and starting over with just one device syncing.) Dropbox was working fine all through this process -- 1P sync simply was not.

I am currently running Mac OS 10.9, 1P 4.0.8 from the Mac App Store, and IP 4.3.2 on the latest version of iOS 7.

I am having the most trouble on my iMac. First, one Mac simply wasn't picking up new items that were on my other Mac (MBA), and I know that the keychain was syncing properly to DB because my iOS devices picked up the change. Then, after multiple attempts at quitting and restarting 1P (and logging out of my Mac after that didn't work), and then, finally, turning sync off and then on again, I was able to see the new items (which had been created almost a week ago). All along I could see that the DB files were being updated, by the way. Also, 1P indicated that it had synced.

CURRENT PROBLEM: At this point, however, I could see that the troublesome Mac had 10 more items than the keychain on my laptop where I had created the new items (and also more than my iOS devices). Because I have made numerous new items and updates on BOTH machines over the past week, I have no idea how to resolve the inconsistency.

Additionally, the "Security Audit" feature has disappeared from the sidebar on my (troublesome) iMac, and I am unable to figure out how to restore it.

I have been using 1P since version 1, and I have never had to troubleshoot before. Frankly, I am appalled by all of the syncing problems I have had. I love 1P and the new features, but I've had to spend at least 3 hours troubleshooting lately.

Thanks for any insight you can provide. I am considering trying iCloud again, but I worry that it may be a 2-hour rabbit hole . . .

Comments

• dvoelker13
    dvoelker13
    Community Member
    Options

One thing it would help me to know: does the 1P Mac app use the keychain stored in DB directly? I assume not. I assume that the app syncs its own database with the keychain that syncs via Dropbox to other devices. I have decent evidence that the troublesome iMac is pushing out the new passwords created on that machine, even if it is not registering all the other updates from other devices. What if I export a spreadsheet of the passwords to store securely just to make sure I don't lose anything, and then delete the 1P app on said troublesome iMac? If I then reinstall and sync, perhaps all will be well? I wonder if some of the syncing bugs that have been crushed in the past couple weeks introduced some errors into that one keychain?

• dvoelker13
    dvoelker13
    Community Member
    Options

Update: Security Audit is back in the sidebar. Restarting the app must have fixed that. Maybe a UI glitch?

• dvoelker13
    dvoelker13
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

In order to make sure that I wouldn't lose any passwords, I sorted my items by creation date and date modified and did a side-by-side comparison. It seemed the the troublesome iMac version simply had about a dozen items that hadn't been deleted. (I have over 400 items, so I could only easily identify only a few of these items.) With that in mind, I deleted the application and all data (but not the keychain in Dropbox), reinstalled, and all seems fine now. I strongly suspect that some of the syncing bugs (that have been fixed, hopefully) led to this data inconsistency between my machines.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dvoelker13,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

I'm so glad to hear that you were finally able to get yourself sorted out, although I'm sorry to hear that it was such a process. It seems that every major launch has a few hiccups, and we've certainly had our share with 1Password 4. The developers have been doing an amazing job of squashing bugs lately, so you should be seeing a much smoother syncing experience now.

If you do notice that anything is not syncing again, please send me a message directly and I'll ensure that the issue is dealt with in a much more timely manner. :)

This discussion has been closed.