Why two files 1Password.agilekeychain when using Dropbox Sync?

Options
chazzunokuthunuchtec
chazzunokuthunuchtec
Community Member

I use Dropbox sync, but notice the dropbox folder has "1Password.agilekeychain" and also has "1Password>1Password.agilekeychain". Does one need to be deleted? Do both get updated? Does one contain the "magic" html file for 1PasswordAnywhere?

Comments

• @chazzunokuthunuchtec There should just be one 1Password.agilekeychain file (unless you're using multiple/shared vaults). The default location is ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. You can check and see which location you're currently using by opening the main app, going to 1Password in the menu bar, then Preferences > Sync and there you'll see the file path for your keychain. Also, both should have the 1Password.html file for 1PasswordAnywhere.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

I just disabled Dropbox sync in 1Password preferences, but without deleting either of the two files that are in the Dropbox home. My problem now is not knowing where it will store 1Password.agilekeychain. In 1Password3 it was obvious, showing the path and the file name. Now it has no obvious indication under the General tab, and the Sync tab only has icons for where I may sync if I desire. How, please, may I now know where it will sync?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

1Password stores your database locally in an sqlite file and copies the data to whichever sync solution you choose. If you have disabled sync, then your data will simply be stored in the sqlite file.

If you would like to re-enable Dropbox sync, you can simply delete the two 1Password.agilekeychain files that are currently in Dropbox, then set up Dropbox sync again in Preferences > Sync.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

How do I find the file, now? If I have disabled sync then I expect it now has 1Password.agilekeychain saved somewhere else. I would like to know so that I can copy the file via iTunes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

When no sync is enabled, 1Password does not create or update an 1Password.agilekeychain file. Your data is stored as an sqlite file. You will need to enable sync to either Dropbox or Folder Sync to create that 1Password.agilekeychain.

To transfer your 1Password.agilekeychain to your mobile device via iTunes File Sharing, I'd recommend temporarily enabling Folder Sync to a folder of your choosing. This will create a fresh new 1Password.agilekeychain for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.