Feature request: quick code at start

lock
lock
Community Member

Hi guys,
I'm sure someone already asked for it, I tried to search for a post about it but I wasn't able to find it (shame on me for my poor search skills). :)

I liked a lot the quick code of the previous version of 1Password. I know there's an implementation in the 4 too, but I think it's not optimal, at least not for my use.
This because it happens often to me to have to access 1P in public places, maybe just to check some low security info and I don't like the idea to immediately have to insert my secure password. I like the old idea of access to the app with a simple quick code and then, only for really important records, have to insert my main code (that is a mix of alpha/numeric digits, so not so immediate).

I like also the quick access I have in version 4 after I logged in the first time but I'd also like to have an option to activate the old behavior in the preferences. I realize it's not that easy as it should require the old "high security" checkbox that now seems gone but I really think this was a very good feature in the previous version. And it's the only thing I miss in the last 1P version. :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lock,

Thanks so much for providing this feedback here!

I'm not sure if you've seen this before, so I'll just go through our basic reasoning when changing the security features in 1Password 4. The old PIN code had the downside of being used to encrypt some items and with only 10,000 possibilities, this just wasn't good enough for us to continue with. We did away with that approach in the first iPad version as well. The PIN code was originally conceived as a convenience feature for frequently accessed items in the time before iPhone OS supported fast app switching and background tasks. It was a compromise we were never happy with, but it provided the best balance of security and user experience at the time. in 1Password 4 the unlock code is only used to control access to the 1Password application, and never for encryption of any of your data.

However ... once multiple vaults are available on iOS, you might have an even better alternative. How does this sound: create a "lower-security" vault with an easier to type password (but maybe throw in a few extra digits or characters so it's a bit stronger than a 4-digit code!) and put all your on-the-go data in there. I just thought of this, and I gotta say, I think it's a pretty great option (I'll probably be setting this up myself.)

:)

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

Hi Megan, thanks for the answer.

Well, yes, Vault system could be an idea I've never thought before. I admit I've never studied it enough (now I've a good reason to do that) so I'll start to think about it. I guess the DB is still only one, right? I don't like the idea to divide my important data in several files but if vault is only an internal virtual separation inside the app, and record can be swapped in no time, then Vault would be a perfect solution for me. :)

Have a nice day,
    Lock

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

UPDATE: I did some experiments with Vaults and I'm liking the way it works. But I'm having some noob issues, I hope you can help me to solve them:

I created a second vault, copied some records (btw, is there a way to copy multiple items instead of one by one?), assigned the new vault file to Dropbox. But when I log out, either on Mac or iOS, the app only accepts the main Vault password, not the other one (on the other hand it correctly accepts the demo one).

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Thanks. :)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

btw, is there a way to copy multiple items instead of one by one?

Sorry not at the moment, its a planned feature. But the team doesn't give time frames on development.

But when I log out, either on Mac or iOS, the app only accepts the main Vault password, not the other one

The Mac knows both passwords or more correctly has the keys to both. It can open both when entering you Primary Master Password. The reasoning behind this was they didn't want you to have to remember multiple Master Password's.

iOS can only sync the Primary vault in its current form. A future update is planned for supporting multiple vaults.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lock,

I'm glad to hear that you're liking the way vaults look so far! I do apologize if I was unclear earlier - right now multiple vaults only work on Mac. But we are hoping to have this feature ready for iOS soon. (As @thightower says though, we can't promise things like dates on unreleased features.)

If you have multiple items you'd like to move into a secondary vault, you could try exporting from the primary vault and then importing into the secondary vault. We'd love for this to be easier in the future, but this isn't a bad workaround for now. :)

But when I log out, either on Mac or iOS, the app only accepts the main Vault password, not the other one (on the other hand it correctly accepts the demo one).

By default you will always use the Master Password of your primary vault to open 1Password. This will also unlock all your secondary vaults. If you would like to open just a secondary vault and leave the primary locked, you can select the 1Password menu while the app is locked and select 'Switch to Vault'.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Doh, I always forget Export / Import. Its one of those features I never had to use.

• lock
    lock
    Community Member

iOS can only sync the Primary vault in its current form. A future update is planned for supporting multiple vaults.

Thanks for your answer, ThighTower.
    So I guess this is not a viable way, at least at the moment. I don't care about Mac behavior, it's ok to type my main password at home. But it would have been very nice to have this function on iOS, so to login to the vault I need more.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thightower,

No worries - there are quite a few features and workarounds to keep track of these days :)

This discussion has been closed.