iCloud sync possible with non-MAS 1Password?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I could upgrade my 1Password 3 with the Thanksgiving discount but I want iCloud
sync (I don't like dropbox).

On the Agile website I can not find any clear information whether iCloud syncing
is possible with the non-MAS version:

On the "what's new" page they say that 1Password 4 supports iCloud. So
I conclude this is true for both versions.

On the "where to purchase" page they say "To use iCloud syncing you should
purchase on the Mac App Store, but ultimately the choice is a personal
preference."
What does "should" mean? Is iCloud syncing easier or something with
the MAS version, or is this "should" actually a "have to"? (English, obviously,
is not my mother language.)

Any definite information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mot.

Thanks for your interest in the 1Password Thanksgiving discount. Here's the most definite information I currently have about iCloud sync support:

1Password 4 for Mac from our AgileBits webstore has been tested with and supports iCloud sync. We can not guarantee that Apple will continue to provide iCloud for apps sold outside of the Mac App Store. If iCloud sync is very important to you we continue to recommend that you purchase through the Mac App Store.

Instead of "should purchase" that says "recommend that you purchase" the Mac App Store version if iCloud sync is very important to you, The AgileBits webstore version can only support iCloud sync as long as Apple continues to allow that service to apps sold outside the Mac App Store. If Apple closes that service you won't be able to use it with the AgileBits webstore version even though the software still supports it.

Silly car analogy:

There's a risk Apple will say "iCloud road closed" to the "AgileBits webstore car" while leaving it open to the "MAS car". :)

I hope that helps clarify it for you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clearing things up.

So I will hold out for an AgileBits sales day on the Mac AppStore ; -)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @mot.

Subscribing to the AgileBits Newsletter is a good way to hear about specific offers on our products, like the recent 1Password Thanksgiving discount. Or watch for them on the Agile Blog, this forum, and our website in general. Or directly on the Mac App Store. They're hard to miss. :)

This discussion has been closed.