Failed upgrade: 1P3 => 1P4 (Mac App store) [resolved]

Options
dbriones
dbriones
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

Hello,

Last night I tried to upgrade to 1P4 purchased from the Mac App store. I store my .agilekeychain file in Dropbox, and when I started 1P4 for the first time, I chose the "already a user" option and it located the keychain file.

However, when I reached the step where it prompted me for my master password to unlock the keychain, it got "stuck" -- when I entered my password into the prompt, followed by "enter", nothing happened. (The icon to the right of the field showed the "unlocked" icon).

I retried my master password a number of times to no avail. Eventually I quit out of 1P4 and relaunched it. This time, I was able to enter my master password successfully, but none of my passwords were there -- the vault was completely empty!

I'm still able to access my passwords by launching 1P3. However, I have uninstalled the 1P3 browser extensions per the 1P4 installation instructions, and unfortunately the 1P3 extension seems to no longer be available from your website (so I can't revert to my previous situation).

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1P4, but that made no difference. I'd like to retry 1P4's first-launch setup sequence, but I can't figure out how to recreate the pre-first-launch state -- now when I start it up, it prompts me to unlock the new (empty) keychain.

--Dante

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome, Dante! ( @dbriones )

I'm sorry you've had a rough experience with upgrading to 1Password 4 so far. Thank you for the detailed description of the trouble. Now let's get it resolved.

Since you'd like to try starting over here are instructions for how to do that:

Starting over

If you do get stuck again then we'd like to work with you directly in email to determine the cause and fix it. To do that please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that's having the problem; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful.

And in case you want to temporarily uninstall any 1P4 browser extension(s) and reinstall the 1P3 browsers extension(s) the latter are available here:

1Password for Mac | Browser Extensions

I sure hope starting over does resolve the problem and we're here to help if not. Thanks for assisting with this!

• dbriones
    dbriones
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I was able to start over, but unfortunately, the result was nearly the same. "Nearly", because this time, when I entered my master password, the OS X Crash Reporter popped up asking me if I wanted to send a report to Agilebits. I did that twice (the second time I included a link to this discussion).

I also just sent a Diagnostics Report.

Thanks for the link to the browser extensions -- I was able to reinstall the one for Safari successfully.

Looking forward to a resolution for the upgrade issue.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @dbriones.

Thanks for the additional information and sending the report.

Since you are able to access your 1Password data with 1P3 there doesn't appear to be a problem with your 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox. However, as an additional verification could you please try opening it with 1PasswordAnywhere from the Dropbox web site:

1PasswordAnywhere, access your data in your web browser without 1Password installed

If that does work okay then we'll continue with helping you through email to figure out why 1P4 hasn't been happy to use this keychain data. Thanks for your patience!

• dbriones
    dbriones
    Community Member
    Options

I had no problem opening the keychain using 1PasswordAnywhere. I'll expect to hear from you folks via email.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Excellent, @dbriones. We've received your report and will help you resolve this through email so we don't mix up anything between here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.