Totally Lost after 2+ hours Searching Forums [resolved]

Options
hooters950
hooters950
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

Okay I just purchased 1password for mac on the app store, which costs $49.99. I created passwords and tried to sync them to dropbox, however there is no 1password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox, only a folder which then has several folders within it ending with three files: 1password.keys, .1password.keys, and encryptionKeys.js.

I plan on using 1Password for both my personal macbookpro as well as my windows work computer. Do I need to purchase licenses before I can export the complete 1password.agilekeychain file to dropbox so I can actually open it and use it on windows? The app works great on my mac. I'm confused as I thought the $50 price included use on multiple platforms.

And are you telling me that I spent $50 on this app, but need to spend an additional $50 for the windows license? Do I need any other licenses?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @hooters950.

Thank you for your 1Password 4 for Mac purchase! I'm sorry you're off to a bit of a bumpy start and want to help resolve the issues.

Let's first cover Dropbox syncing. You mentioned:

I created passwords and tried to sync them to dropbox, however there is no 1password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox, only a folder which then has several folders within it ending with three files: 1password.keys, .1password.keys, and encryptionKeys.js.

1Password.agilekeychain is actually a folder bundle containing multiple files, including ones you've mentioned. With icon view in Finder it'll normally look something like this:

In other cases it may look like a standard folder icon. To check if you have a valid 1Password.agilekeychain please try opening it with 1PasswordAnywhere from the Dropbox web site:

1PasswordAnywhere, access your data in your web browser without 1Password installed

If that works then you should have no trouble syncing it with 1Password on other systems/devices. If there's a problem you can try disabling Dropbox Sync in 1P4 on your Mac, then reenabling it using these instructions:

Sync with Dropbox

Before doing that we highly recommend saving a backup of your current 1Password data by opening Preferences… > Backup in the main 1P4 app and clicking Backup Now.

If you need more help with this or have any questions please let me know.

Now let's cover the licensing. You asked:

Do I need to purchase licenses before I can export the complete 1password.agilekeychain file to dropbox so I can actually open it and use it on windows?

That's correct; 1Password for Windows is a separate purchase. Here's a brief explanation from the AgileBits Software Licenses page:

Our software is licensed per person per platform. Each user and each platform requires a license.

Please e-mail us directly so we can offer you the best discount for a 1Password for Windows license.

Also, if ever necessary, you can find a receipt for your 1Password 4 for Mac purchase from Apple's App Store with these helpful instructions posted by @thightower: here, post #10. AgileBits doesn't have any records of 1Password purchases from Apple's Mac and iTunes App Stores.

Holiday greetings! :)

• hooters950
    hooters950
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. When I open the dropbox folder, there are only the three files that I mentioned above. The order of files goes:
    1) 1password.agilekeychain folder
    2) Open and now I'm in "Data" folder
    3) Open data and now I'm in "Default" folder
    4) Open default folder and only the three files are in there.

I think the issue is that every time I would sync to dropbox, it would always unexpectedly quit, stating that the sync quit unexpectedly and asks if I'd like to send a report to you guys. I don't have the exact error message in front of me so I can't type it here, but basically the sync closes a couple seconds after I start it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that extra information, @hooters950.

So we can get more details about what's causing this problem and specifically suggest how you can fix it please email us a Diagnostics Report from your MacBook Pro; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• hooters950
    hooters950
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent the email with the diagnostic report. Thank you!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, @hooters950. We've received your report and will help you resolve this through email so we're not muddling up anything between here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.