Fresh install of Mavericks with 1Password 4 (non MAS) and an existing Dropbox agile keychain

Options
fidothe
fidothe
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I've just done a completely fresh installation of Mavericks on my mid-2010 MacBook Pro. I have Dropbox and my existing 1Password keychain is there (I've been using 1Password for a long time, so it's in the root of the Dropbox and not in a 1Password folder).

I had copied my entire Dropbox folder over from a backup, but hadn't yet installed the Dropbox app.

When I started 1Password (4.0.9) and selected "I've used 1Password Before" then the Dropbox option. It complained that Dropbox wasn't installed.

I then installed Dropbox and started it, then restarted 1Password. This time it let me select the Dropbox option, but when I click 'choose folder' and select the Dropbox folder in the open folder dialog that opens, clicking 'Open' in that dialog appears to do nothing.

I've restarted the MacBook Pro, but the open dialog still does nothing. I'm guessing that this is a similar problem to http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/17650/clicking-open-when-setting-the-dropbox-folder-does-nothing, but I don't have two copies of the 1Password.agilekeychain.

I've performed pretty much exactly the same steps on my MacBook Air, a week or so ago, and it all worked flawlessly.

Can you help?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fidothe,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting your data imported into 1Password! Apologies if I'm misunderstanding things here, but can you confirm if you are clicking on the 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, or just the folder? Clicking on the 1Password.agilekeychain file itself should load things up properly.

• fidothe
    fidothe
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I'd tried both. I'll check again when I'm at the computer in the morning...

• fidothe
    fidothe
    Community Member
    Options

So I clearly hadn't been doing that, because as soon as I selected the 1Password.agilekeychain file everything worked. I was confused because the instruction text says "Click here to find the Dropbox folder" and the button says "Choose folder…". I think there's an issue with the instructions there...

• jochenneese
    jochenneese
    Community Member
    Options

@fidothe: "I think there's an issue with the instructions there..." Maybe not, since the ...agilekeychain "file" really is a folder (from a technical Mac perspective), it only looks like a file. You can see that if right-clicking on this thing in the Finder, it offers you to "Show package contents". The same applies by the way to the iPhoto Library and other items where Apple doesn't want users to fumble around in ;-)

But I agree with you that instructions within Apps like 1P should be for normal users (which I am, too) and not for tech geeks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @fidothe.

I'm glad to hear you've resolved the problem with selecting your 1Password keychain in Dropbox. By chance, are you running Path Finder on your MacBook Pro? In my brief experience with it during troubleshooting a 1Password issue I remember it being responsible for drilling into an 1Password keychain folder bundle that should have appeared and been selectable as a file. So I'm curious it that's what happened in your case, using a Path Finder dialog instead of a normal Finder one.

As both you and @jochenneese mention, the usage of folder to describe selecting a 1Password keychain can be unclear and confusing. Even being somewhat of a tech geek I did a double-take "huh?" when first encountering that when setting up Dropbox syncing. I typically prefer simply referring to it as a keychain rather than either a file or folder.

This issue with folder being used in instructions for keychain selection is already in our tracker, I've noted this discussion about it, and it will be improved in a future update. Thanks for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.