iOS versus Mac Version

wysmerhill
wysmerhill
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Lounge

Hi,

do both version offer the same functionalities? Did not find any comparison table between the two.

Which one is recommended?

Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

As to which is recommended, you need the iOS version if you have an iDevice, and the Mac version if you have a Mac!! Simple as that.

Functionality. The iOS version lacks some features of the Mac version, most of which Agilebits hopes to include in later updates. I don't use iDevices enough to be more specific, but others willanswer you.

• wysmerhill
    wysmerhill
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have both IOS and Mac devices and can not decide which version of 1Password I need/want and tbh currently not ready to buy both version. Was also wondering about the price difference between the 2 versions (ratio is 1 to 5 in my shop)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I suggest buying the iOS version now when it's 40 % off.

You can download a trial version of the Mac application on https://agilebits.com/downloads. It will work for 30 days, then you can decide if it is worth the price (I think so). If you choose to not buy the Mac application, you can still read (but not write) your 1Password data on the Dropbox website.

However I don't think it's a good idea to use 1Password on only one platform, at least not if you want to use the main feature of generating random passwords.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I woulf guess that the answer depends primarily on where you expect to need access to passwords most often.

There is an issue with the iOS version in that Apple's restrictions prevent close integration with Safari on an iDevice. AgileBits provide a work-around for that, and also have their own basic browser, but it is not as smooth as the Mac version.

• muzh
    muzh
    Community Member

With the latest versions of both Mac and iOS software you can technically do (almost) all of the same things. Create, edit, reference your sensitive date.
    However, one of the major use cases is, of course, storing passwords and even if you can reference them on, say, your phone, you won't want to have to copy that into a web browser on your Mac character by character (especially if you take advantage of the password generator functionality - you'll end up with 18 unrelated characters to punch in). On the Mac especially the real advantage of 1Password is that it can integrate with software and auto submit and not waste your time. And on iOS you can copy/paste your passwords into apps & browsers as well as reference all important info you may ever need (passport number, for example...?)

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

muzh wrote:

On the Mac especially the real advantage of 1Password is that it can integrate with software and auto submit and not waste your time. And on iOS you can copy/paste your passwords into apps & browsers as well as reference all important info you may ever need (passport number, for example...?)

So the iOS version doesn't have auto submit? Is it in the works?

Thank you,

David

• Hey @DavidB,

1Password 4 for iOS does have auto-submit. When using 1Browser, 1Password will automatically submit the web form after filling it (as long as it's enabled).

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

Xe997 wrote:

I suggest buying the iOS version now when it's 40 % off.

I see it's currently $17.99. Is that the discounted price? (I didn't see anything about a discount, but I am not very familiar with the App Store.)

By the way, I purchased 1P Pro for iPhone in November 2012. (Never used it.) I assume there is no upgrade though?

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

Jasper P wrote:

1Password 4 for iOS does have auto-submit. When using 1Browser, 1Password will automatically submit the web form after filling it (as long as it's enabled).

Glad to know that. Is there a downside to using 1Browser vs Safari?

David

• @DavidB

I see it's currently $17.99. Is that the discounted price? (I didn't see anything about a discount, but I am not very familiar with the App Store.)

No, that's the full price. The discount mentioned above over. :(

Glad to know that. Is there a downside to using 1Browser vs Safari?

Due to restrictions in iOS, 1Password is only able to auto-fill logins in 1Browser. If you're using Safari, you must copy and paste your login info. Unfortunately it's a limitation in iOS and there's nothing that can be done to integrate with Safari.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@JasperP,

So 1P iOS will never work with Safari?

Also, is there any disadvantage in using 1Browser?

• @DavidB

So 1P iOS will never work with Safari?

Only if Apple was to allow a way to integrate with it (such as browser extensions like on Mac). But it's unlikely that something like that will be coming anytime soon. So the answer is no as it stands right now.

Also, is there any disadvantage in using 1Browser?

There could be some potential disadvantages if you wanted to use 1Browser as your default browser:

• It's not as full featured. No bookmarks, history, iCloud Tabs, etc.
    • 1Password needs to be unlocked to use it. You'll need to enter your Master Password before accessing it.
    • Third party browsers are required to use a slightly slower version of Apple’s Nitro JavaScript engine. But you likely won't notice any real difference.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Great comments from all above. Thanks, everyone! One thing I would add is that for quickly accessing the page you are viewing in Safari in 1Browser, we have a bookmarklet that makes it easy:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12108/open-in-1password-bookmarklet-for-opening-sites-into-1passwords-browser

This discussion has been closed.