Can't get past the first dialog box FRUSTRATED

Options
MMcG
MMcG
Community Member

I just purchased 1Password 4 for Mac, downloaded fine, but when first opened application, it asks if I am "New to 1Password" or "I've used 1Password before" (which I selected) because I have used 1Password on my iPhone (version 3.7.2) for 2 years. It then asks "where is your data?", with 4 options (iCloud, Dropbox, This Mac, Another Device). I select Another Device. I am then presented with 2 options (Cancel, More Information). I choose More Information, which takes me to website, which says:

If you’ve used 1Password before, 1Password 4 can read your existing data file. But what if you’ve only used the Windows version, or the iPhone version, so you information isn’t on this computer? No problem! We’ll help you get things sorted in no time.

First, quit 1Password 4.

Next, switch to the computer or mobile device that has your 1Password data. Open 1Password and tell it to sync with either Dropbox (Windows, iOS) or iCloud (iOS). Give it a few minutes to make sure the sync is complete.

So, I quite 1Password 4 on my Mac. Next I open 1Password on my iPhone, and the only option is to select synch with Dropbox (It does not have an iCloud synch option), so I select "synch with Dropbox". Then I proceed to try to synch with my Dropbox account, but it fails. DEAD END.

What should I do?

And why can't I get help over the phone?????

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey @MMcG,

Sorry that you're having trouble. Having an old version of 1Password on your iPhone is making this process a bit trickier for you.

Dropbox sync no longer works in 1Password 3 for iOS due to a depreciated Dropbox API.

If you use 1Password 3 for iOS and Dropbox sync, take action by September 1

Unfortunately 1Password 3 for iOS is not able to sync to 1Password 4 for Mac directly. But, there are two options for you to get all your data over to 1Password 4 for Mac:

• Upgrade to 1Password 4 for iOS. It's available on the App Store for $9.99 (currently on sale, regular $17.99), and will work for any iPhones or iPads you own (requires iOS 6 or later). This will allow you to import your data from version 3 and then sync it to iCloud or Dropbox. There's lots of other great new features too.

• Or the free option: sync using wifi with 1Password 3 for Mac. You'll need to download the trial version of 1Password 3 (direct download link). And the instructions for wifi sync are here. 1Password 3 for Mac will create a 1Password.agilekeychain file on your Mac, which can be opened in 1Password 4.

And why can't I get help over the phone?????

AgileBits is a small company, so their primary method of responding to customers is electronically (which is pretty standard for software developers I think). Electronic communication also allows for easy to follow, step-by-step instructions that can be referred to at your leisure.

Hope that helps! :)

• MMcG
    MMcG
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, but not there yet. I purchased new version 1P4 for iPhone, but don't know how to get passwords from old 1P3 to new 1P4. Help please.

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

@MMcG

When you open 1Password 4 on your iPhone, you should be able to select I've used 1Password before and then use the Import from old version option. That should import the data from an existing copy of 1Password 3 on your device.

Also, before you do that, just double-check to make sure that Dropbox sync is NOT enabled in 1Password 3.

Let me know if that works for you.

• MMcG
    MMcG
    Community Member
    Options

Still unable to import data into new 1P4 from 1P3. When I open 1P4, Favorites, Categories, and Folders are all blank (no info) and in settings, I can't find any option for I've Used 1 Password Before. Where do I find this option in 1P4?
    Thanks

• @MMcG

When you first open 1Password 4 there should be an I've used 1Password before option. What happened the first time you opened the app?

I'm not very familiar with the 1Password 3 to 4 import on iOS, so I'll tag @Megan and @sjk and they should be able to assist you better. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MMcG,

The options that @JasperP mentioned are only visible when you open 1Password 4 for the first time. However, before we reinstall the app to get that screen again, I'd like you to try something for me: open 1Password 3 for iOS. 1Password 3 for iOS should recognize that you have 1Password 4 for iOS installed and ask you to migrate your data. (I'll keep my fingers crossed that this behaves properly for you!)

If not, however, all we need to do is reinstall 1Password 4 for iOS:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html
    • Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and Import from previous version.

Please let me know how this works!

• MMcG
    MMcG
    Community Member
    Options

1P3 did not recognize that I had installed 1P4. So I deleted 1P4, then reinstalled. When I first opened 1P4, I did choose "I,ve used 1 Password before". I then selected Import from Previous Version. Is said "you're now ready for data migration. Unlock the old app and then select the option to migrate your data." I pressed "Get Started", which then opened up the old app 1P3, but NO prompt to SELECT OPTION TO MIGRATE DATA. Just the following icon options in old 1P3: Synch (DropBox), Display, Database, Security, About. So what should I select?.?????

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MMcG,

I'm so sorry that this is giving you so much trouble here! Unlocking the app should have initiated the sync. If you close 1Password 3 and unlock it again does it notice the new version now?

• MMcG
    MMcG
    Community Member
    Options

No, 1P3 does not seem to know that 1P4 is now installed. Please help. Thanks.

• MMcG
    MMcG
    Community Member
    Options

Help please!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MMcG,

I've conferred with a colleague and I think we've figured out a way to get this working for you! If you're not seeing the import screen when you open 1Password 3 for iOS, we're going to need to re-set 1Password 3 so that it gives you the import option again.

Here's what we need to do:

Once your data is restored into 1Password 3, it should recognize that you have 1Password 4 for iOS installed and ask if you would like the data to be imported.

Please let me know how this goes!

This discussion has been closed.