Moving items into 'Categories'.

Options
DebCC
DebCC
Community Member

Okay, I have another problem. I'm trying to use 1Password 4 for Mac. I love that it has categories, such as credit cards etc. And I would like to use them. But I can't figure out how to do it. It will not allow me to drag and drop tagged items or 'All items' into any of the categories. Strangely, a few things are in various categories, but I have no idea how they got there, but they aren't in the categories I would have put them in and I can't move them to the correct category. Neither does there seem to be any way to label an item with a particular category. It seems as if the only way I can use a category is to manually type everything in again. Surely, that can't be correct? How can you put things into a category?

Comments

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Hello? Can anyone help?

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Additionally, I have 1Password 4 on my iPhone, just as I had 1Password 3 on my iPhone. I cannot get it to sync. I've followed the instructions to no avail.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I have a financial website that requires going to one url, entering a user name, pressing enter, which then goes to another url where the password is input and pressing enter again. I can't get it to enter the username or password, nor to press enter. It merely goes to each url where I have to input the data and press enter.

In the past, with 1PW3 it would input all the data and I only had to press enter. What gives? And is there no way for me to adjust it?

BTW, guys, your tutorial is awfully skimpy. I've read it in full and I can still barely do the basics with this program.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

And why is that every time I open anything from 1PW4 does it also open my home page on my browser? That is irritating as when I am working I do not want to be distracted by having my home page opened and taking up real estate?

Sorry I'm so full of questions. I would rather have gotten the answers from the tutorial or help, but I sure as heck don't see the answers there.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

This is ridiculous! Now I have a secure note that got put into the trash. It will not let me remove it from the trash. It will not let me return it to secure notes. It will not let me put it ANYWHERE! Yes, I'm getting beyond frustrated! And why does drag and drop work so minimally in 1P4? It works with tags and nothing else. I still can't get a flipping thing into categories and I'm not going to retype 190 items!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Although, judging by your posts, you probably won't like it, take a look at this post and the thread it also refers to in answer to a similar question.

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    Options

@DebCC, and to "undelete" something you see in the Trash you need to click on the item's listing and use the menu sequence of Item > Restore from Trash.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

@Hawkmoth, you're right, I don't like. I actually read that post last night. However, I still don't know how to put anything INTO a category. I cannot find any documentation on how to insert something into a category, at all. Am I supposed to type every blessed item into each category? That will take months!

@MartyS, thanks. I couldn't get trash to open to see the items in it last night. Today it is magically opening and I was able to undelete it.

And why am I able to duplicate something, if I can't move it anywhere? It will duplicate and the dupe will sit right next to the original. Duh!

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth, thanks, though. I appreciate your trying to help me.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@DebCC, you're welcome, although I realize it doesn't seem very responsive to your frustrations with trying to drag and drop records among categories.

I've mentioned my experiences with importing data from another application into 1Password elsewhere in this forum. One such post is here.

The bottom line for me is that when I realized that I was asking the impossible, I finally did exactly what you want to avoid: I entered all of my 250+ records into 1Password by hand. Just as it's impossible for me to imagine writing an import routine that could anticipate every modification I may have done over a long use of another application, it also seems to me (I'm no coder!) that drag and drop from one category to another is a programming nightmare that likely has no practical solution. Think about this example. If I import a record from another application and 1Password can't automatically recognize the fields, it will drop the record into Secure Notes, where everything is stored as plain text. Now, suppose the record is really meant to be a login for a web site. How could the application properly evaluate a Login record via drag and drop? Which line of text is the username? Which is the password? There isn't any clue from the record.

Similarly, if I decide that I want a login record to move to the software category, where would the fields go? Would username belong in serial number? You get the idea.

Anyway, I agree it would be great to be able to use drag and drop to reorganize a database, but I doubt there is any good way for that to happen when each category has entirely different fields with different functions. It took me a long time before I became willing to overcome the inertia associated with manually entering all my data, but I finally did it and have never regretted it. Each user has to decide what investment of time they are willing to dedicate for him-/herself.

So I understand that you don't like what you are experiencing. Perhaps this comment and others like it will at least make it more sensible that things can't work quite the way we'd wish they would.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

That makes sense. Thanks!

Honestly, there are several things that are extremely frustrating. That there is documentation that this can't be done and why makes no sense. And no official 1P4 person has bothered to answer, either here or via email. If either had been available I wouldn't have wasted hours of my time trying to do the impossible.

I finally started manually entering items into categories and found another bitter disappointment. I had such high hopes for 'Categories' and could see myself using it for so many things, but the categories are not very complete at all. The category choices that they felt were most important are really weird. I can input a fishing license, but I can't input an investment vehicle, not even one as simple as a Fidelity account with multiple portfolios. Really? What is more important, my investments or a fishing license? Even the bank category barely works for banks, since multiple account types and numbers end up jumbled together with no spaces between them or ability to identify the different accounts, and it doesn't work for investments at all. Even simple things are overlooked, such as credit cards list various different cards except debit cards and store credit cards that are not Visa, etc. Why? Once needs to keep track of them, as well. And most people's biggest investment is a mortgage and there is no category for a mortgage, nor one that works for a mortgage! How strange is that? It goes on, such as health, car and mortgage insurance policies. I thought I could stop using dozens of secure notes and use categories instead, which would make it more organized and easy. Instead, I have to mostly keep my secure notes, because I have no fishing license to keep safe.

Finally, that there is no ability to click on the item in category view and go to that website and have usernames and passwords input into the site is a frustrating oversight, since this is the function 1PW has had from the beginning. So you have to go to another location to actually log in.

I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed if I wasn't such a fan of 1PW for years now and thought that if they were charging so much for upgrading that there would have been complete functionality…or at least much more complete than it is.

And don't get me wrong, I still love 1PW. I love that I can generate long, virtually unbreakable passwords. I love that I can mostly use it to log into sites with one click (not completely, but largely). I love that I have a place to save all my passwords in one place, although I use a Mac and it has Keychain, which I'm told is based on 1PW. The interface is very nice and the rich icons are pretty.

Anyway, I very much appreciate your help and patience. You've been great! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

At least for now, there is no requirement that you upgrade to 1P 4 from 1P 3. There is a money back guarantee. Sounds like that might serve you best.

• DebCC
    DebCC
    Community Member
    Options

Since I have deleted 1PW3 and have spent so much time on this so far, I'm sticking with 1PW4. I just hope they are reading this thread and learning from it. They certainly haven't responded to it.

Thank you again!

This discussion has been closed.