How to remove/close a second vault?

Options
365nice
365nice
Community Member

Hi - I'm a bit confused about using secondary vaults now? I create a vault called Archive - and I put some items in it (I used the export/import technique as there is no move command....). I used sync to file to store it on dropbox

On my second mac I double clicked on the archive vault to add it to my second machine - however I forget to set the color correctly (to match what I used on my other machine). So - how do I remove that vault to repeat the operation?

Delete vault - really does delete it (fortunately I made a backup copy I could restore). So it there no - close vault option? What if I shared a vault with someone and then they didn't want to use it anymore - how would they remove it without deleting all of the contents?

I'm confused now?

Comments

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Does anyone know the answer to this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @365nice. I'll try answering. :)

First, some background:

You created a secondary named Archive on your first Mac (A). After syncing it with Dropbox you used it to create a new secondary vault on your other Mac (B), also named Archive. Each Mac (A & B) has its own separate copy of that Archive vault, which may or may not be configured to sync between your Macs (e.g. using Archive.agilekeychain).

To delete your secondary Archive vault on Mac B (and/or Mac A) when it's active, simply select Delete Archive Vault… under the main 1P4 menu:

Click Delete Vault to confirm deletion of that vault and all information in it from Mac B:

The Archive vault on Mac A will not be deleted. And if that now-deleted vault was configured to sync with Archive.agilekeychain then that keychain will not be deleted. You can then open it again on Mac B to create a new Archive vault from it there, setting color and other details this time around. Also see: Edit a vault's details.

You asked:

What if I shared a vault with someone and then they didn't want to use it anymore - how would they remove it without deleting all of the contents?

Let's say you shared one of your Archive vaults by syncing, using the Archive.agilekeychain in Dropbox, to Mac C. If they've created a vault named Archive from it and want to stop using that vault they simply delete it, but that will remove all information in it. If they disable syncing it with the Archive.agilekeychain keychain in Dropbox then they have the option to delete that keychain from Dropbox:

In other words, anything that was syncing with that keychain won't be after it's been deleted. But all vaults, say on Macs A/B/C, will remain untouched.

Back to your question. The guy on Mac C could delete the local Archive vault, but might still have access to the Archive.agilekeychain in Dropbox to recreate the vault. Or, he could disable the syncing and delete the keychain but leave the data in the vault. Also note: Secrets can't be unshared.

To summarize:

With 1Password 4, deleting a vault doesn't delete any keychains it syncs with. And deleting any keychains doesn't delete any vaults.

I hope that answers what you're asking. :)

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clear pictures and explanation - I think I'm clear, it was the stop syncing option I should have used (I think). It ends up being more complicated than I realised.... I can see this might be a troublesome feature if not understood properly.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @365nice.

I can see this might be a troublesome feature if not understood properly.

Quite true, like similarly mentioned recently: elsewhere.

[Note: The subtopic here that had started with @benfdc's reply is now a separate topic: RFE: copy/move multiple items between vaults]

This discussion has been closed.