1Password 4 not giving me the option to say I'm an existing user.

Options
dhnyc1
dhnyc1
Community Member

I installed 1P 4 from the app store. Didn't get an option to say I'm an existing user. I've used the "start over" process renaming the file to "OLD" several times. My data is in Dropbox but I can't figure out how to point to it now that I'm not getting the "existing user" option.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @dhnyc1.

I'm sorry 1Password 4 isn't automatically finding the 1Password keychain in Dropbox you want to use. Have you previously used that keychain with 1Password 3 or currently with 1Password on any other system/devices?

If nothing is currently using that keychain then you might want to consider moving it to this default and preferred location in your Dropbox folder:

Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

After that 1P4 should be able to find it automatically if it's run from a "starting over" condition.

And if you've already created a new primary vault in 1Password 4 then you can configure it to sync with your 1Password keychain in Dropbox, wherever it is, with instructions like these:

Sync with Dropbox

But instead of creating a new keychain you'll be selecting your old one.

Please let me know how that goes or if you have any questions. Thanks!

• dhnyc1
    dhnyc1
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

The issue I had was that I didn't have a 1Password folder under Dropbox. Once I created that and moved the keychain to the folder (from the parent Dropbox folder), 1Password 4 opened up with my data.

Now a new issue, which I guess gets to your question about other devices. My iphone and ipad won't sync properly - is this because I moved the keychain? If so, and if the preferred location is in a separate 1Password folder, how do I get my other devices to point to the right keychain in Dropbox?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @dhnyc1.

If 1Password data in 1P4 on your Mac is up-to-date and properly syncing with your 1Password keychain in Dropbox please give this a try:

• Manually create a backup by clicking Backup Now under Preferences… > Backup in 1P4 on your Mac.
    • Disable Dropbox syncing in 1P4 on both your iOS devices, then reenable it on each of them again one at a time.

It's recommended to disable any Dropbox syncing to 1Password keychains before moving them but of course you can't do that now. :)

• dhnyc1
    dhnyc1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,
    Same problem. Looks like I have two syncs happening. 1P4 is backing up to my iMac, I assume to the same file I created in the new/corrected location. When I sync either of my iOS devices, they create a new keychain in the Dropbox folder, apparently rather than syncing with the keychain in Dropbox/1Password. I made a small change in my iMac keychain and it didn't appear in the iOS devices. Is there some way to point the iOS devices to the new file location rather than having them continue to point to the old location?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, dhnyc1.

I'm sorry that didn't work for you.

If you're certain you have good backups of all your 1Password data you could try uninstalling and reinstalling 1P4 on your iOS devices.

However, before doing that could you please email a Diagnostics Report from your iMac so I can check a few things? Instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. There may be another way to fix this than the 1P4 iOS uninstalling/reinstalling. Thanks in advance!

• dhnyc1
    dhnyc1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

I just sent you the diagnostics report. Thank you!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Report received, @dhnyc1 -- thanks!

I've already spotted the reason why Dropbox syncing with 1P4 on iOS is misbehaving and will be following up with you in email to suggest how you can fix it.

This discussion has been closed.