Validation Failed on upgrade? [confirmed, Gatekeeper issue]

Options
jrmii
jrmii
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I'm currently running 4.0.7 (407005) under Mavericks 10.9.0 (13A3017) on a Late-2013 15" MBPr and am having trouble with the automatic update process. I get the popup that tells me that there's a new 4.0.9 version available. I click to have it update and restart, and the download begins. When the progress bar completes, it tells me "Verification Failed".

I did previously have betas enabled, but don't currently have it set. When I did, I had the same problem with a beta (sorry, don't recall the version). I manually downloaded 4.0.7 and disabled beta updates in hopes of clearing the issue. Alas, it's continuing.

The screenshot of the failure can be found at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3887962/Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 12.31.43 PM.png

Any suggestions on how best to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

• Jim

[Admin Edit: Please see 1Password Updater shows "Validation failed" message when trying to install update for fix.]

Comments

• jrmii
    jrmii
    Community Member
    Options

Is this the correct place to ask this question? The support page indicated that this was the preferred venue, but I've not gotten any response in 3 days. I'd appreciate any guidance!

• Jim
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @jrmii. I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

If you're still getting a "Validation Failed" error using the built-in updater please try manually installing 4.0.9 after downloading it directly from here:

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-4.0.9.zip

Let me know if that works for you. Thanks!

• jrmii
    jrmii
    Community Member
    Options

Oversoul,
    Many thanks for your reply, the image that you pointed me at installed just fine. However, when the updater for 4.1.1 popped up, I got the exact same behavior. The new image would download, and then come up with "validation failed" with cancel or try again buttons. I switched from downloading from Amazon to AgileBits and got the exact same behavior.

Any suggestions on next steps?

- Jim

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey @jrmii,

If you'd like to install 4.1.1 right away, here is the direct download link so you can manually install like you did for 4.0.9.

https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-4.1.1.zip

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey Jim ( @jrmii ),

It's unusual you're still having this issue. You can download 4.1.1 from here:

Download AgileBits Software

If you'd like to email us a Diagnostics Report we can check it for clues to the cause of that stubborn "Validation failed" error; instructions are here:

(or use the direct link @JasperP posted)

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• jrmii
    jrmii
    Community Member
    Options

4.1.1 downloading and Diagnostic Report sent.

Many thanks for the quick response on a Friday Night!

• Jim
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got your report, @jrmii -- thanks! I think we need to clarify those instructions for which address to send one to. :)

I see where the error occurred but am not certain of the reason for it. Under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General which option for Allow applications download from: is selected?

• jrmii
    jrmii
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't enter an address at all ... it was automatically populated when I hit the "send email" button.

As for the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General, it was set to "Mac App Store". When I switched it to "Mac App Store and identified developers", it now works! Somehow in all my testing (I was a Mavericks seed tester), it ended up in that mode.

That said, perhaps there might be a better error message than "validation failed"?

Thanks very much for your help!

• Jim
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your help resolving this, @jrmii. On a Friday night. :)

I'm filing a request for improving how the updater handles the "Validation failed" error condition.

About where to send reports requested from this forum, I was referring to the last line of the instructions not being clear about changing the recipient address after clicking Create New Email Message…. It's not necessary to do that, simply a bit more helpful.

Have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.