Turn off "Smart" Quoting in Secure Notes?

Options
Augris
Augris
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

I have a few bits of JSON text in Secure Notes and I recently made the mistake of trying to edit one in place. When I did so, the quotes I typed were automagically switched to curly quotes (also sometimes called smart quotes) from what I actually typed. Since this switch is very subtle, I didn't actually notice it at the time, and later ended up wasting time trying to debug why the JSON text wasn't parsing correctly when I went to use it. Finicky parsers aside, is there any way to turn this "feature" off? (Admittedly, I'm not sure yet if this is 1Password-specific thing or a wider system service on my Mac -- still researching that...)

Here's an example:

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Augris,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

You can disable Smart Quotes by going to Edit > Substitutions and uncheck Smart Quotes.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have further questions :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

In my installation, smart quotes is off by default.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Smart Quotes during text input is also disabled by default here, @hawkmoth, in 1P4 and every other app I can recall. The Edit > Substitutions > Show Substitutions window from 1P4 4.1 on 10.8.5 looks like this:

This discussion has been closed.