Nice idea - but cannot use app [folder attachments are unsupported; intended behavior]

Options
Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

When I downloaded the app - there was no mention that it was a trial. I found out about that when I logged in here. Also - I am trying to secure a simple "Pages" file (MAC version of Microsoft Word) and I get this alert every time I try to secure ANY file:

"The file ASSETS.pages is a bundle or folder.
Attachments must be regular files."

I like the idea of 1Password4 - but there seems to be no user-friendly step-by-step instructions. All I can seem to find when I search for tutorials are descriptions of what 1Password4 DOES.

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Options

The primary purpose of 1PW is to store passwords for Web sites. You can store files in an encrypted way as a secure note, or as an attachment but this is not the main use.

You should take a look at Knox, also by Agilebits. That seems more like what you need, but I have never used it, so can't say more about it.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member
    Options

@Matthew Kennedy, I'm sorry for the confusion here. 1Password will allow you to store passwords, credit cards, and other information and fill in that information on websites. And @danco is correct, if you want to secure a file then Knox is what you want to use. If you have any questions about either 1Password or Knox, please let us know.

• Jasper
    edited December 2013
    Options

@AgileKelly I think there might be a bug here. If I try to include a Pages document saved with Pages v5.0.1 as an attachment in 1Password, I get the same error message as Matthew. But if the Pages document is still an old Pages v4.3 document, it will attach just fine.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Perhaps not a bug, @JasperP. :)

If Pages v5.0.1 and other newer iWork documents are folder bundles (containing multiple files), which I'm unable to definitively verify at the moment, then 1Password won't support attaching them. This behavior is intentional and it's the same in 1Password 3.

Folders and folder bundles need to be archived as a single file (e.g. ZIP format) before they can be attached to 1Password.

• @sjk Interesting. I didn't realize that about the new iWork.

I just checked here, and a .pages document created with Pages 5 has the "Show Package Contents" option when right-clicked, while one created with Pages 4 does not. That seems to verify your thoughts.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for checking on that there, @JasperP.

This discussion has been closed.