"cannot connect to 1Password mini" on a Mac with multiple users

Options
diniscorreia
diniscorreia
Community Member

Hi there,

I have 1Password 4 installed via the App Store on a Mac and I've been using it with the one user I had set up on that Mac.
Today I set up a new user on this computer want wanted to use 1Password (with a different keychain - I don't want to sync data, each user has its own 1Password data on Dropbox).

However, when I try to run 1P on the new user, I get the "cannot connect to 1Password mini" error. I tried logging out and in but no luck. The app runs with no problems on the other user account, so I'm not sure what might be going on.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @diniscorreia.

I'm sorry 1Password 4 isn't connecting to 1P mini and working normally with your new user account on the same Mac. It's certainly possible for that to work, like it does for me with multiple accounts on a few systems (including the one I'm currently using).

How far have you gotten in 1P4 with the new account, e.g. is there a vault or is it stuck during the initial setup? Has your system been restarting since this problem began and did you try again after that?

You mention not wanting to sync data. Do you mean between 1P4 in each account or not at all in either. If neither account requires synced 1Password data then you could disabled Dropbox syncing of it altogether.

Thanks in advance for your followup about this. We'll surely figure out how to get it all running right for you. :)

• darylm
    darylm
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm this problem on Mavericks 10.9 and multiple independent users. It appears that the "Mini" app conflicts between the two logins rendering both inoperative once the second login occurs. Hints seem to be around possibly a port conflict. The only work around I have discovered is to shut down both login browsers and user the 1Password app to disable the Mini (menu bar) app on the login not currently active, or of course just log off. This is a pretty major bug.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback about this, @darylm.

Which version of 1Password is simultaneously running under each account on your 10.9 system that seems to be in conflict? When the problem does occur again in one of those accounts could you please send us a Diagnostics Report from it right away, without quitting any other apps first? Thanks in advance for that additional information.

Using Control-Command-Q in the main 1Password 4 app to Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from any logged in account that you want to temporarily disable 1P4 in while it's used in another account may be an easier workaround to have only one instance running at a time for a single account.

This discussion has been closed.