Tried Vaults...Data Gone on iOS devices

Options
col_potatoe
col_potatoe
Community Member

Recently I decided to move logins and data around to create different vaults for me and my wife. Bad idea. After moving I noticed none of the login info moved over. I panicked. I replaced the file on my Mac Dropbox folder with a backup file from the night before. I was able to breathe easier and everything works on Mac and Macbook Air. But, the iPhone and iPad continue to churn the gears and there is NO information. I have tried deleting the app, disabling Dropbox and enabling it...nothing brings the data back. Help is great appreciated at this point. I have my data on any Mac computer, but I have nothing on iPad and iPhone and it keeps syncing and turning the gears but show no data.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Are you satisfied that you have your full and uncompromised version of your data on your Macs? If you are, my approach would be to disable syncing temporarily on both the Macs and iDevices. Then I would go to my local Dropbox folder and delete all files related to 1Password. After doing that and being sure that Dropbox has finished communicating with the mothership, I would then turn syncing back on for one of the Macs. Since there will be no Dropbox files any longer, 1Password will create a new Dropbox entry and a keychain with the data from the Mac. Give that some time to sync to the cloud, and then turn syncing back on on your iDevices. Again allow some time for everything to catch up.

I've done this a couple of times when I've had troubles. It's been more efficient for me that trying to figure out exactly how to find the weak link with the old file.

I have to add the disclaimer that I don't have any special insight into the inner workings of 1Password. I'm only reporting my own experience and my practical approach to a similar issue. There may be a better way that I don't know about.

And just for the record, the iOS version does not support multiple vaults in the current release. That feature will come in a future update.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @hawkmoth !

@col_potatoe - To add to what @hawkmoth said, when you disable syncing (temporarily) in 1Password on your Mac, make sure you disable syncing for your secondary vaults as well, if you still have them. The sync settings in Preferences > Sync are unique to each vault.

When you re-enable Dropbox sync in 1Password for Mac, make sure you enable that for the Primary vault (assuming that's the one you're trying to sync with your iDevices).

If you still have trouble with Dropbox sync in 1Password on your iDevices, try this for each device:

• Open 1Password on your iDevice and go to Settings > Sync, and change the Dropbox option to Off.
    • Double-click the Home button and close 1Password from the Fast App Switcher.
    • Restart your iDevice.
    • After the restart, open 1Password and re-enable Dropbox sync.
  • hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Good catch - I have only one vault, so I haven't thought about how to manag more than one.

• col_potatoe
    col_potatoe
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you hawkmoth! That did it. I made sure I had a backup and good data on 1 of my Macs. I disabled Dropbox syncing on all devices, Mac and iDevices. Then I uninstalled 1Password on all devices, BUT the 1 Mac with the good data. I then proceeded to deleting the 1Password data in my Dropbox account. I let all devices sync with Dropbox so that their data was gone also. I then turned on Dropbox syncing on the Mac with the good data. After that I downloaded 1Password on my iPad and then turned on syncing with Dropbox. IT WORKED! Thanks so much.

This discussion has been closed.