Pause needed between username & password

Options
Stowell
Stowell
Community Member

1P vr 4.0.8 on Mac 10.8.5

With me very fast Mac & 60mb connection trying to login into my router, username is entered correctly but password is entered to fast and I get an error message. If I manually enter username and then and then copy and paste password than login is achieved every time. So, is there a way to put a delay into 1password between username and password (say 1 second)?

Comments

• Stowell
    Stowell
    Community Member
    Options

1P vr 4.0.8 on Mac 10.8.5

With me very fast Mac & 60mb connection trying to login into my router, username is entered correctly but password is entered to fast and I get an error message. If I manually enter username and then and then copy and paste password than login is achieved every time. So, is there a way to put a delay into 1password between username and password (say 1 second)?

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stowell,

There is not a way to put a delay between entering username and password.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

@Stowell

Try saving a login with just the user name and then duplicate it and have just the password saved. You would need to give it specific names so you can tell which is which but that should solve your issue.

This help topic is from 1Password 3 but it should give you a better understanding of what I am getting at. It should be very similar to save the info in 1Password 4 if your on v4.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/multi_page_logins.html

Its not a delay per say but it should accomplish what you want with a small wrinkle. You have to use 1Password twice to get logged in.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @Stowell.

Like @eva_s mentioned, there isn't any way to add a delay between filling username and password fields. Instead, what you could try is using separate Login items to fill each field after you've manually saved them. Or Duplicate your current item and edit each copy.

For example, a Router (Username) item would have just the username field and Router (Password) would have just the password field. Then use the correct item to fill the correct field on the your router login page. I think that would be quicker than any copying/pasting. :)

• Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    Options

I've seen this issue before where the site has a javascript to verifying the username is entered before the password field is enabled. Since 1P enters all the fields almost instantly, it breaks when trying to enter the password. Usually entering only part of the password or nothing at all.

One trick I've used to slow down 1P is to enable the "Animate form filling" option in the 1Password Preferences>Browser tab. This animation is slow enough to show the data being entered as if being typed then tab to the next field.

If that still doesn't work, edit the 1P item and set the Submit option to "Never Submit". This will stop 1P from submitting the form after filling out the fields. When you press Command+\ to fill out the form, if it only gets the username but not the password, just press Command+\ again and it might be able to fill in the password field as it should be enabled at that point. Once you have both the username and password fields properly filled in, you can usually submit the form by pressing Return/Enter on your keyboard.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Smudge.

Thanks for the extra suggestions.

One trick I've used to slow down 1P is to enable the "Animate form filling" option in the 1Password Preferences>Browser tab.

That option is enabled by default and disabling it has been known improve autofill with certain sites.

If that still doesn't work, edit the 1P item and set the Submit option to "Never Submit". This will stop 1P from submitting the form after filling out the fields. When you press Command+\ to fill out the form, if it only gets the username but not the password, just press Command+\ again and it might be able to fill in the password field as it should be enabled at that point.

Yup, that's easier/faster than using multiple Login items and likely will work. :)

Once you have both the username and password fields properly filled in, you can usually submit the form by pressing Return/Enter on your keyboard.

And when Return (Enter) won't immediately submit tapping the Tab key enough times first can help. :)

This discussion has been closed.