Dropbox and Creating/Sharing multiple Vaults Crash

Options
fpTravis
fpTravis
Community Member

Hello,

We've been using 1password since version 3 and have started exploring the multiple vault and syncing with dropbox option. We're running into an issue that just started happening with the most recent update to 1password 4 (we didnt have this issue in an earlier version of 1password 4).

When we created some vaults and put them in dropbox to be shared in the earlier version, that worked great and there was no issues. Since the most recent update, we can no longer place the 1password file in dropbox via the Preferences > Sync menu in 1password. The application actually crashes and presents me with an error report form, which I have filled out and sent. The vault seems to create itself, but doesn't seem to be linked to dropbox. There exists a file in the location in dropbox that I put it, but if I go back into the new vault and go to preferences, the syncing options are empty and wants to me to choose a method.

Is this an issue for anyone else?

Comments

• fpTravis
    fpTravis
    Community Member
    Options

Looking for at least some form of feedback!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @fpTravis.

I'd like to apologize for the delay in replying about your problem with 1P4 crashing when configuring Dropbox syncing with secondary vaults. We're all working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses and appreciate your patience.

Which version of 1P4 are you running now? At least with some older versions there is a known bug that crashes 1Password helper when configuring Dropbox (and Folder) Sync with pathnames that contain Space characters. For example, trying to use something like /Users/me/Dropbox/My 1Password Keychains for syncing would cause the 1P helper crash. Removing the Space characters from the subfolder so it's /Users/me/Dropbox/My1PasswordKeychains can be a workaround, as can creating secondary vaults without Space characters in their names.

However, there are still other cases where 1P helper will crash even when syncing pathnames don't contain any Space characters. This bug is in our tracker and will be fixed in a future update.

To get more help resolving this through email please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac that's having the problem; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• fpTravis
    fpTravis
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed response. It is indeed a space issue. If there are any spaces in the path to the keyfile it will crash when trying to sync.

As a bit of information, we're using the appstore version 4.0.8 (408001). We have since got it to work by removing spacing, but this is a pretty big issue. when can we see an update to fix this for the appstore version?

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @fpTravis.

It's looking like this "whitespace characters in keychain sync pathnames" bug relates to a more general one, with something @dteare mentioned in common:

The security scoped bookmark is needed in the Mac App Store version because of the sandboxing feature. This bookmark is given to us by OS X when you select the folder (you may have heard this called a Powerbox) and we keep this bookmark for later use. For some reason when we try to persist and restore this bookmark it fails.

Whitespace removal from the pathname has been a successful workaround for that bug, like it was for you. When it's not, and for the other bug, switching to the Agile Web Store version can resolve it. While I can't make promises it is likely that fixes for both will be in the next MAS update, with Apple's iTunes Connect Holiday Shutdown factoring into availability.

I hope that's helpful.

This discussion has been closed.