How do I disable automatic backups?

Options
David
David
Community Member

I just shelled out for 1Password 4 on my Mac and to my annoyance my workflow was interrupted with a notification that 1Password made an automatic backup.

I fail to see how such an event is noteworthy enough to grab my attention and interrupt my workflow, and furthermore I already have an automatic backup system so 1Password doesn't need to perform that function and can just be a password manager.

How do I disable the automatic backups?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @David,

I'm sorry to hear that the backup notifications are interrupting your workflow. Unfortunately at this point there is no way to disable them. We are looking into changing this in the future, but for now I hope you can look at it as an extra level of security for your important data.

I am very glad to hear that you already have a separate backup system in place. We have many users though, who do not. I can't tell you the number of times I've helped someone restore their 1Password data from a backup file. So until we have a better solution, we like to err on the side of caution. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you :)

• StanTheMan
    StanTheMan
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am with David on this subject, this Draconian stance is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Users should have CHOICE.
    There is nothing wrong with encouraging BackUps even to the point of them being enabled by default.
    However Users should have the choice to switch this facility off.
    Users should also have the choice as to where the BackUp is stored.
    Most importantly these choices should have been available from the off.

Reading many of the Threads here it seems Agile are too eager to release new versions?

• Alfihar
    Alfihar
    Community Member
    Options

How about disabling the notifications instead of the backups?

If you go to System Preferences > Notifications.
    Then from the list select the weirdly named xxxxxxxxxx.com.agilebits (where the x's seem to be a random set of letters and numbers) and set its style to "None", maybe turn off both sound and "Show in Notfication Center" if needed.

I've just done this as well as I find the notifications annoying (Though haven't tested it yet, as I'm waiting for another auto backup to happen).

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

@Alfihar

Sounds like great idea for those folks whom don't want to get notified each and every time. I am on the fence about this one. I haven't yet decided where I am but I do like options and yours provides the best one I have seen.

Maybe the guys will add some options into a upcoming release. ?

cc/ @David @StanTheMan

• Hi guys,

Alfihar is correct, you can turn off the notifications in the Notifications area of System Prefs:

Advanced options are being considered, we'll see what we can do in a future update. If you need the backups turned off completely, please email us at support+forum@agilebits.com, and we'll explain how you can disable it completely.

• David
    David
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I disabled the notifications as you explained and I'm satisfied.

David

• 1Password 4.0.5 should no longer display notifications about successful backups.

• revenkyte
    revenkyte
    Community Member
    Options

To be honest the issue is not to do with notifications – I myself don't really mind it. Actually it's quite reassuring as there is visual feedback regarding it. I think for the default user having this turned on is good.

However, for those who object to such a feature, I agree that there should be at least the option to do so.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

However, for those who object to such a feature, I agree that there should be at least the option to do so.

I also would like a preference.

Oh well time to cook something up with Hazel to send a Growl notification when a new file appears in the backups folder.

• Hi guys,

It's not the final decision, we're just turning it off for now as we get a lot of feedback about having it turned off. We'll work on a better solution in a future update.

• Brady12
    Brady12
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with David I also already have an automatic backup set up. I do not want 1password doing this, I did not buy this program for backing up for me. I do want the ability to shut it off. I do not need more things running in the background unnecessarily. As far as the notification I already know how to disable them I want to stop 1password from performing the backup in the first place.

• VisualFrameworks
    VisualFrameworks
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

I think Mavericks is still in beta...
    Now after 1Password 4.0.5 is updated, the notifications does not work anymore.
    Weather a restart or a reinstallation of 1Password solve this problem.
    Since Mavericks the icons does not change they still remain in the standard form. it suc.s (Mavericks of cause)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @Brady12.

Please see what @MIkeT mentioned at the end of post #6 about completely disabling backups (not just notifications). Thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

The backup notifications seem to have returned in the 4.0.7 beta. I welcome this change. But it got me thinking, if I like a feature of 1Password, must I visit the forums to "defend" it, or it will be removed? Many have posted about wanting to get rid of the notifications, but you can't ignore the users that like them and don't post about it.

Now about the actual backups, I agree that there should be some preference. But the default should be daily.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Xe997,

The forums are a great place to discuss features: from ones that you want to see, to ones that we haven't quite perfected yet. ;) We value user feedback from sources like this when deciding what new features to add and how to tweak existing ones, but there are other factors to take into account as well.

While we do love hearing positive feedback from users who love current features, you certainly don't have to feel the need to run to the forums and defend your favourite features for fear of them disappearing. :)

Thanks to all for participating in the discussion!

• bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Community Member
    Options

I want to disable backups because it eats up a few gigs of space. I have a MacBook with a smaller solid state drive, and the backups take up several GBs of data. I end up manually going in and deleting backups regularly and its a pain to do...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bobbyt.

Please refer to what @MIkeT mentioned at the end of post #6 about completely disabling backups. Including a link to this topic and your forum username in the email be helpful. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.