Customer loyalty sale price question

Options

First of all, I love 1Password. I have been using 1P3 for 3 years. I have it on my Mac, Android and now on my iPad. I have also recommended it to everyone I know. So, I'm a very happy and loyal customer. With that said, I was just looking at info to upgrade to 1P4 and I was a little bothered by the sale pricing. I read that customers who bought 1P3 on the App Store, get a free upgrade. That's cool; but then I see customers who purchased from your website get a lesser sale price. Now, I own a small business and one of my biggest resellers is Amazon. I don't think any less of customers who choose to buy my products from Amazon, but I always appreciate doing business direct with customers. Generally, unless the price or convenience is that much better somewhere else, I always try to do business direct with the company I am buying from because I like to have direct dealings whenever possible. I'm not trying to complain here. Even without the sale price, I think 1Password is still worth it at full price. However, I do appreciate the upgrade pricing. What I am confused about is why......Why do I get less of a deal than those who purchased on the App Store?

While on the subject, I noticed in another thread that you are still offering 1P3 for some customers. I came here today with the intention of downloading 1P for Windows to install on one of my computers. I downloaded the trial and it wouldn't let me license it, I assume because I have a 1P3 license and I cold only download 1P4. Would I still be able to get a copy of 1P3 to use? I have a family pack license and am only using 3 licenses right now. And, actually, I am really only using 2, because 2 of them are my computers. I would be willing to upgrade if I have to, just looking to see what my options are.

Thanks for providing a wonderful, safe application for password. I really love it and will continue to do so for years to come.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chihuahua,

Thank you so much for providing your feedback here. We really appreciate your support and loyalty. I'll do my best to explain our position here to help you understand why upgrade pricing ended up as it did.

We thought long and hard about how to give all our loyal customers the best opportunity to upgrade when we released 1Password 4. In the end, we decided to offer 1Password 4 for Mac for free to all users who purchased 1Password 3 in 2013, and provide a 50% discount to users who purchased prior to 2013. That gave users a nine-month free upgrade window. Unfortunately, the App Store doesn't allow us to distinguish between users based on purchase date. They favour an all-or-nothing type of approach. So, we decided to extend the free upgrade to all users: it seemed like a much better idea to be more generous than we planned than to exclude Mac App Store users entirely from the deal. :)

As to your question about licensing, I'd like to apologize for any confusion here. 1Password licenses are platform-specific, so if you have a family license for Mac, up to 5 users can install 1Password 4 for Mac on as many computers as they personally use. If some of those computers are unable to run 1Password 4 because they are stuck on an older operating system, we are more than happy to provide a 1Password 3 license for those computers. However, 1Password for Windows is a separate purchase. If you input your license code on our upgrade page, you will see the discount available to add a Windows bundle to your existing license. And you'll be pleased to know that any purchases of Windows licenses made now will be eligible for a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, which just entered beta testing!

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but if I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask!

• Chihuahua
    Chihuahua
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I guess that makes sense. Sounds like an unfortunate situation with the App Store. Just one more reason why I prefer not to use the App Store and buy direct. Thanks for explaining, I'll look forward to upgrading when I figure out what will work best for me.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Chihuahua,

Thanks so much for your understanding. We're here to help if you have any more questions about the upgrade :)

This discussion has been closed.