How to change an existing login password in 1Password 4

Options
hansbraul
hansbraul
Community Member

I have searched in vain for a straightforward procedure to change weak passwords in my many logins to stronger ones. Can you please provide? I found that in some sites, when I go to the change password page, and get 1P to autofill the new password, the page will accept it, but then when ask 1P to launch the page and autofill the password, it just gets me back to the change password page. Hours spent and getting increasingly frustrated.

Comments

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

Sure would be nice to get a response!!

• Phillip_Wright
    Phillip_Wright
    Community Member
    Options

sure would.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

hansbraul wrote:

I have searched in vain for a straightforward procedure to change weak passwords in my many logins to stronger ones

Does this thread answer your question? discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/94654#Comment_94654

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

hansbraul wrote:

I found that in some sites, when I go to the change password page, and get 1P to autofill the new password, the page will accept it, but then when ask 1P to launch the page and autofill the password, it just gets me back to the change password page.

If you have 1P update the Login, it will also change the website URL to the page you are on (the change password page). In that case, you have to manually change the URL to the one where the site asks for your login information.

David

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

Well, slowly I'm making this thing work - but it's nowhere near as seamless as the promotional material would have you believe. For example, I just changed a password in my Rogers account. First, when I logged in using my old password, 1P did not ask me to save it. So I did it manually. Then I changed the password with the 1P generator. OK, but again, 1P did not ask me if I wanted to save the new password. So I updated it manually in 1P. Then I launched the site from 1P and it brings up the login page, enters the password, and it just sits there. Nothing happens, even when I hit enter or confirm. If I close completely, and come back in, and cut & paste the password from 1P, it takes it, but not automatically. Very frustrating, and I'm wondering why I am bothering with such a hit and miss process. AgileBits has over promised and under delivered.

• hansbraul
    hansbraul
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the rant - David B your link was useful, but just shows how many different variations there are out there, and 1P is unable to navigate many of them without manual intervention requiring much more tech savvy than most plodders like me have.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

hansbraul wrote:

For example, I just changed a password in my Rogers account. First, when I logged in using my old password, 1P did not ask me to save it. So I did it manually.

When you changed your password in the Rogers account, had you previously created a Login for it in 1P? If so, I don't know why it didn't ask you to save the new password. You might look at this thread: discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/95430#Comment_95430

As for the other problems, someone more knowledgeable about 1P 4 than I am will have to answer.

David

• Phillip_Wright
    Phillip_Wright
    Community Member
    Options

Does it strike anyone else as odd that a company who makes a well regarded product like 1Password and who promotes the ability to replace your old weak and redundant passwords with new and strong ones does not have a readily available workflow description or tutorial to guide you through the process of updating your old passwords?

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Phillip_Wright wrote:

Does it strike anyone else as odd that a company who makes a well regarded product like 1Password and who promotes the ability to replace your old weak and redundant passwords with new and strong ones does not have a readily available workflow description or tutorial to guide you through the process of updating your old passwords?

If you have been reading this forum at all you must have noticed that the 1P 4 launch has had serious difficulties. The 1P staff has been overwhelmed and is scrambling to fix things as fast as it can. Unfortunately some very important things--such as complete documentation--have been subject to triage. I am not excusing Agile, just explaining the situation.

On the other hand, the software is fairly intuitive. Here is how to update an existing password:

1) Log in to the account you want to update and go to the "change password" section
    2) Copy and paste your old password (from 1Password) into the "old password" window
    3) Click the 1Password icon in your browser, select Password Generator, configure a new password and click "Fill"
    4) 1Password will fill in the new password and ask you if you want to update your Login; click to confirm
    5) Log out of your account and log back in using 1Password to verify the update

Hope this helps--

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Phillip_Wright wrote:

a readily available workflow description or tutorial to guide you through the process of updating your old passwords?

On rereading your question, I realize you may be asking how to create new 1Password Logins, not change previous ones. If so, there are instructions here: learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/the-basics.html.

• Phillip_Wright
    Phillip_Wright
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the perspective and help. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I am trying to upgrade old passwords to more strengthy ones and your help now makes it possible. For those of you have have spent some time to help me one sincere thanks. I'll spend some time today and try to implement your ideas. BTW, is it assumed that you always start from an active browser page, cause when I start from the desktop, a browser window doesn't open, maybe this is just a current bug.

• Phillip_Wright
    Phillip_Wright
    Community Member
    Options

Hey David, Thanks for that workflow. In reading it, it doesn't appear to me that after the fill on the website that the new password is placed in the 1password login form. Does this happen automagically or is there another step. I think I have done this before and got the passwords don't match message after in filled the new password, maybe I didn't do the upgrade the login step, I'll try it again today. Thanks again. Phil

• Phillip_Wright
    Phillip_Wright
    Community Member
    Options

With thanks and credit to David, and Hansbraul, I think I have developed a process for building a more strengthy password from an old worn out password.
    1. Open 1password and copy the existing password by mousing over password on the form and clicking copy
    2. Login to an account that has the old password
    3. Go to the change password page, click on the old password blank and click command V to paste old password.
    4. click on the key icon and click on password generator and generate a new password to your recipe and click fill, then click save on the webpage.
    5 Open 1Password from the dock and click on the safe dial icon on the left, to see the list of generated passwords and click on the one for the site you just generated, then mouse over the password and click copy.
    6. Click on the login icon on the left and then click on the Icon for the website with which we have been working and click edit.
    7. Drag over existing old password to select the old password and click command V to paste the new password in the login page, then click save.

Let me know if this works for everyone and if it does please post it prominently

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hansbraul,

It seems like David has given you some pretty great advice, although I do apologize if things have been a bit confusing for you. As David said, we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4, but we're all putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses, so we really appreciate your patience. If you do run into any further complications, please message me directly here and I'll do my best to give you a more prompt response. :)

Hi @Phillip_Wright,

I'm so glad to hear that you found a workflow that works for you! (Thanks again to @DavidB for the great help!) To make things even simpler, I might suggest making use of the 1Password Mini when you want to visit a site that you have a saved Login for:

• Hit Cmd-Opt-\ (or your chosen shortcut) to open the Mini.
    • Start typing the name of the site you want to visit
    • Hit Enter to have 1Password open the site and fill your Login information for you. :)

Please note that some sites may not automatically submit for you, so make sure that 'Automatically submit logins after filling' is selected in Preferences > Browsers.

If you have any further questions, we'd be happy to help!

• gtcaz
    gtcaz
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,

I thought the question was how to save (update) new information for an existing site. I'm also stumped on how to do this on 1P4. If I recall, 1P3 had both an automatic and manual way to update information for a site based on your new inputs. Cant find that anymore. Hints?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gtcaz,

Our tech gurus are working on helping 1Password better recognize when you are changing a password for a site and prompting you to update your existing Login automatically. If this doesn't happen, however, you have a few options:

• If the changed password is one generated by 1Password, clicking on the 'Fill' button by default will also copy the password to your clipboard, so simply edit the entry in the main 1Password app and paste the new password in.
    • Logout of the site and log in again with the new credentials. 1Password will ask if you would like to save a new Login, or update your existing one.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

This discussion has been closed.