How do i set default password formula?

Options
mishaseattle
mishaseattle
Community Member

I create a lot of passwords. every time i create a new one i have to rebuild the formula. is there a way to set a default, such as 12 characters, 2 special so that every time i make a password i don't need to start from 0 character passwords and modify?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mishaseattle.

Are you creating these new passwords from the Password Generator (PG) in 1Password mini and/or when selecting the password field when editing an item in the main app? I haven't been able to reproduce the default password length ever being 0 in either with 4.0.8 or 4.1.1.

In 1P mini, the previous length and recipe settings in PG are retained in subsequent uses. That works consistently for me. In the main app, the receipt settings are usually retained but the length may vary depending on if a previous password selected and other factors. Often it appears the length will be 4. It's more inconsistent and unpredictable than in 1P mini.

So currently you can "sort of" set default password formula. Adjustments to length and receipt in the 1P mini PG should become the new default password formula the next time it's used. In the main app PG only receipt adjustments become the new defaults; length is more variant. Please let me know if it's not behaving like that for you.

Presets (including a user-defined default) and other improvements for Password Generator are planned or being considered.

• mishaseattle
    mishaseattle
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure what 1P Mini means... as far as I know, I'm doing this in the main app. Each time i make a new password i need to start from scratch, so the previous one is not maintained. I guess i'll have to figure out what 1P Mini is. It would be nice to be able to set a default formula.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mishaseattle.

Here's a 1P mini to go with your 1P main:

1Password 4 for Mac features: 1Password mini | Agile Blog

I hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.