Login not working on Fidelity.com

cmcd10
cmcd10
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

for Chrome Version 27.0.1453.15 beta. Seems OK on Safari.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry that you're having this problem. My Fidelity Login is working well in Chrome (including autosubmit). Please try saving the login manually like this:

1. Enter your credentials at https://www.fidelity.com but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and select the "+" button in the upper right hand corner.
    3. IMPORTANT: Edit the username so that it contains your actual username and is not masked with asterisks. The Fidelity site obscures the username client-side, so 1Password will save the asterisks if you don't edit it at this stage.
    4. Change the title and make any notes (if desired).
    5. Click the Save button in the upper right hand corner.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login at:

https://www.fidelity.com

Manually saving a login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Doing this allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• cmcd10
    cmcd10
    Community Member

I followed your steps, but it's not working. I tried 3 separate times. When I try to autosubmit, the username is filled in, but nothing is filled in for the password.

Just to be clear, https://www.fidelity.com doesn't have the login fields - for that you need to click the "Log in" link in the top right or the green "Customer Log In" button. FYI: the Saved Form Fields that are populated are: SSN, SSN-visible, and PIN.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

https://www.fidelity.com doesn't have the login fields …

Sure it does. I have an account there myself. I'm not just guessing. :)

It sounds like you didn't follow the steps exactly then if you thought that the login fields were not available on the home page. Please be sure you are logged out or the login fields will (perhaps obviously) not be available there. Then give it another go. It is working flawlessly in all my testing. If you're still having trouble please let me know the exact version numbers you are using of (1) 1Password, and (2) 1Password's Chrome extension. Perhaps there is an issue specific to the version(s) you are using, or something is out of date.

I'm sure we can get it resolved. Keep me posted.

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ah! Of course. It's very possible that something is amiss in the beta channel of Chrome that you mentioned you were using in your initial post. That's why they call it beta. :)

My apologies for having missed that initially.

Please read our support article about Support for Prerelease Browser Versions.

Always be sure to use the current stable versions of Chrome, Firefox, and/or Safari when testing filling issues.

• cmcd10
    cmcd10
    Community Member

It works! That is, it works with Chrome Beta. I've used the login page forever, so even when I looked at www.fidelity.com, I just didn't see the login fields on the left. Thank you for your patience with me.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Oh, great! I'm glad it is working even in the beta channel of Chrome. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• cmcd10
    cmcd10
    Community Member
    edited April 2013

Ugh - this morning (day after my last post) I'm not seeing the login fields on Fidelity's homepage, just the green Customer login button in the top left that I mentioned previously. This is the case in Chrome and Firefox (v20). However, Safari does show the login fields on the homepage. I understand Betas aren't supported, but does FireFox 20 work for you? I'm not knowledgeable about how sites tailor their rendering based on the browser, but I'm wondering if I could fool Fidelity into thinking I'm accessing from Safari when I'm actually using Chrome. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to use Safari... annoying.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Yes. If I get that green "Customer Log In" button and click it 1Password fills and submits properly on the login page that comes up using the Login item created with the method described earlier.

What is interesting is that the green "Customer Log In" button only comes up on the first visit. I see you are using Incognito mode in Chrome, and I'm guessing you are either using Private Browsing in Firefox or resetting Firefox every time.

It really shouldn't make a difference, though, since fill and submit works well on the "Customer Log In" page anyway.

Ah, wait. I spoke too soon. For some reason filling is in fact broken in Chrome (stable even) on that "Customer Log In" page.

Thank you for your persistence on this issue. It appears to be a filling issue (1) in Chrome (2) on this specific URL:

https://login.fidelity.com/ftgw/Fas/Fidelity/RtlCust/Login/Init?AuthRedUrl=https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/ofsummary/defaultPage

I'll file this so we can resolve it in a future update. For now you will need to access the Fidelity site in either (1) Safari, (2) Firefox, or (3) NOT in Incognito mode in Chrome so you can fill the form on the home page on every visit after the first.

Let me know if your experience is different than what I've outlined. I'd love to update the issue with more precise details.

• harmon
    harmon
    Community Member

I was having trouble with the Fidelity login in Safari. I followed your instructions at the beginning of this thread & they worked. But of course, that means that you still need to deal with whatever is causing the problem.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad things are working well for you, @harmon. Please do let me know if you have any other trouble.

• TripleHjr
    TripleHjr
    Community Member

I got Fidelity.com to work with 1PW for Mac 4.1 early this morning--logged out and now when I try to go to the site it brings up the site, fills in the ID and password and then throws me out saying" ID or password is invalid" and on second try I am locked out and have to reset my password--what is solution to this?
    I called Fidelity 2 days ago and was connected to their web techs who said after putting me on hold for 5 minutes:"if it doesn't work then we don't support it and don't use it!"--wow!
    Hank

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with their customer support. The behavior of their site sounds very strange to me. I log in to the Fidelity site very regularly with 1Password 4, so I'm not sure what would be happening on your system.

I'm not sure if you already tried this, but could you humor me and try saving a new Login item again even if you previously tried it? I just tried it again myself to make sure that it works and I can't get it to fail if I follow these steps. I'm hoping they get things working well for you too:

1. Visit the website’s login page. This is the exact URL I use:
      https://login.fidelity.com/ftgw/Fas/Fidelity/RtlCust/Login/Init

But once you create the Login it works on the home page too.
    2. Enter your credentials on the website, but do not submit the form just yet.
    3. Click the 1Password button in your browser’s toolbar to see the extension popup.
    4. Click the action button (“gear”) in the upper right hand corner just to the right of the search field. (NOTE: The action button will be replaced with your vault icon if you are using multiple vaults. Click it instead.)
    5. Select “Save new Login” from the menu that popped up.
    6. Change the title if desired. This can be especially helpful when troubleshooting or if you have more than one Login item for the same website.
    7. Click the Save button.

IMPORTANT: Now edit item in 1Password and make sure the username contains your actual username and is not masked with asterisks. The Fidelity site obscures the username client-side, so 1Password will save the asterisks if you don't edit it at this stage.

Saving a new Login like this can be useful for Logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. It allows 1Password to refresh everything it “knows” about the page. Login pages can change as websites are updated, and this can be a very helpful tip in those cases.

Please let me know how it goes!

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

I was directed to this link by Megan (sp) . I followed the instructions above, which were also provided to me by Eva. Still cannot log in. The log in generates my username and a password, but of course I can't see what they are on the site because they change to asterisks so fast. If I COPY and PASTE the information out of 1Pass manually into the Fidelity Log In, it logs me in to my account without a problem. I have to do this every other time I try to fix it or it will lock me out eventually.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AShearer,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this Login! I'd like you to test something for me. In Preferences > Browsers, please disable 'Animate form filling' - does the Login behave better now?

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

Megan: Nope. I unchecked Animate Form Filling. Same thing. Error message; the user name and password you entered is incorrect.

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

I should add; as before, if I manually enter the UN and PW copied from 1Pass, it works.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

What URL are you using to log in and what URL is stored in the Login item? (As you know they can be different. So that's why I am asking for both.) :)

What happens if you visit this URL then just save a new Login item (without even editing it afterwards):

I just tried that and it is producing a valid Login for me every time. I'm not sure if something in the page changed or if something was updated in 1Password's extension, but the asterisks are not being saved in my testing with 1Password 4.1.3 in Safari. What versions of (1) 1Password, (2) browser, and (3) 1Password extension are you using? I am guessing that's not the issue, but at this point we may need to investigate all possibilities.

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

I'm using the same URL that is: https://login.fidelity.com/ftgw/Fas/Fidelity/RtlCust/Login/Init

I am using 1Password 4.1.3 in Safari 7.01 1Password Extension 4.01

In Safari I have block cookies from third parties and advertisers checked. Could that be the problem? I don't think so, because I had deleted fidelity cookies previously, but they are now back in cookie data.

I also unchecked Autofill in Safari Preferences.

My password begins with a number that number. Could that be a problem. I tried changing it using generator but that really caused me problems. That was many attempts ago.

As I mentioned, if I log in manually using the very same information from 1Pass by copy/paste it works. As soon as I use 1Pass to open and fill I get the error.

Thanks for your help.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm using the same URL that is: https://login.fidelity.com/ftgw/Fas/Fidelity/RtlCust/Login/Init

I am using 1Password 4.1.3 in Safari 7.01 1Password Extension 4.01

Thanks! That is the same setup I have been testing with here.

In Safari I have block cookies from third parties and advertisers checked. Could that be the problem? I don't think so, because I had deleted fidelity cookies previously, but they are now back in cookie data.

That should not be the issue as I have that set to the same thing here.

I also unchecked Autofill in Safari Preferences.

That is a good thing to check. Thanks for including that information. :)

One thing I notice about my working Fidelity Login is that the password is shorter than I usually make my passwords. It is only 12 characters long. I would never make a password that short unless I had to, so what I'm wondering is if you generated and stored a password longer than that but Fidelity is truncating it when you paste it but not when 1Password fills it.

You certainly don't have to tell me how long your password is, but that could help us narrow this down. What I'm wondering is if your password is longer than 12 characters what happens if you create a duplicate Login item (Item > Duplicate) and then trim the password to only 12 characters. Could that apply in your case? If so, does that help?

Thanks so much for your patience. I appreciate you hanging in there. I'm confident we can get things working as well for you as they do for myself and other Fidelity users.

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

First; thank you for hanging in there on this. Since you're able to use it without a problem, most would assume that I was the problem.

My password is 10 characters and, as I mentioned works when I put it in manually?

When this problem started the Fidelity site was applying my old username. I had changed it when I started trying 1Pass, but I got that to stop.

I was thinking of deleting the 1Pass log in and starting over again? Any thoughts on that?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I was thinking of deleting the 1Pass log in and starting over again? Any thoughts on that?

I think that is a great idea. Please let me know how it goes!

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

I was just re-reading your previous post an realized I did not answer one of your questions. That is :"What happens if you visit this URL then just save a new Login item (without even editing it afterwards):""

I did that and what happened is, I entered my credentials and then hit the action gear, clicked on Save New Login and nothing happened. In other words, it did not bring up a box to overwrite the existing Fidelity log in, and did not change in 1Pass logins.

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

OK. Per the next to last post. I deleted my Fidelity login, emptied the trash in 1Pass. Opened the URL we have been using, entered my credentials, saved it as a new log in but did not log in. Then closed Safari, then open and fill with 1Pass. Same error.

I am going to try changing my user name to something plain and generate a 12 character password in Fidelity Profile. Then reset the whole thing up again.

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

Sorry to keep posting. But, I went into Fidelity Profile, changed my user name to something more in their format. I did this by putting in my last name, hitting Check Availability, then using the available name that came up with a number on the end. Next I used PW generator to generate a 12 character password. Successfully changed both UN and PW. Logged in manually to test it. All works, gets my into my account.
    Then back to Fidelity put my credentials in, saved as a new log in. Then closed safari again. Open and fill using 1Pass...Nope! Error message.

I'm at a loss. The only thing I have noted is that in my URL window on Fidelity site, there is https: and an icon of a lock before the URL. I assume you have the same thing? Secure connection through Safari?
    Otherwise, I am at a complete loss why this is working for you and not me.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The only thing I have noted is that in my URL window on Fidelity site, there is https: and an icon of a lock before the URL. I assume you have the same thing? Secure connection through Safari?

That's correct. It is a secure connection (as it ought to be).

I am so sorry. I think I may have given you incorrect instructions earlier. Fidelity has changed the way the website works and actually lists the obfuscated username in addition to the username in plaintext within the form fields. This is such a pain in the neck, and I think I may have misled you above. Please accept my apology.

I was trying this earlier, and it looked like it was filling correctly, but I took a step back and wiped out my Fidelity Login item so I could make sure I was starting completely from scratch. It turns out just editing the username field is not good enough. It looks like it is when testing, but when using my actual credentials it fails. Please try this:

1. Edit your Fidelity Login item.
    2. Click the "Show web form details" button.
    3. SSN-visible must be set to your username without asterisks.

I'm really hoping that does the trick. They used to only have one field so 1Password showed it (with asterisks) as the username. It was easy to spot this and edit it to make the change. Now they have two fields and the one with asterisks (SSN-visible) is tucked away behind the "Show web form details" button now because 1Password sees the SSN field and shows that as the username. 1Password isn't, strictly speaking, wrong in this case. That is your username. But the Fidelity site is looking in a different hidden field for it.

In fact, there may even be an easier way to do this since the form fields are causing confusion. We pretty much never encourage folks to create a new Login item in the main 1Password app since it doesn't give 1Password a chance to "learn" the form fields. However, in this case, the form fields are actually confusing 1Password. So I tried creating a Login in the main 1Password app, and it seems to work with my valid credentials. This may be the easiest way to create a working Fidelity Login (even though it runs counter to our standard advice to always save Logins in the browser):

1. In the main 1Password app, select File > New Item from the menu bar and choose "Login" from the list.
    2. Input your username and password along this this website:

3. The resulting Login item should look like this but should actually work since it won't have that hidden field with an obfuscated version of your username:

I will pass this information along to the developers to see if there is a better way to handle this without hard-coding a special exception for Fidelity (since that means if they ever change the site it may break again).

Please let me know if any of that helps!

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

This did the trick. Just simply went to the Webform detail, edited it to remove the asterisks and insert correct letters. Logs in perfectly. I tried it three times. Thanks again for your diligence in solving this issue for me and your other users having the same problem.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Phew! I'm glad that everything is finally working well. You've been super patient. Have an awesome rest of your week! :)

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

I have two accounts at Fidelity. I tried your File New suggestion with the second one and it works just fine. I realize this is not optimum, but at least it works for now. Thanks again to all three folks who helped on this.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Perfect! I've notified the developers to see how we can improve this in the future, but I'm glad my two solutions above are verified to be working. That is great news.

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

Excellent; thank you for your patience as well. As I said, a lot of support folks would have assumed I was screwing up. So far I am really impressed with the support from Agilebits, particularly the group's reluctance to give up on a problem. Please pass on to Eva and Megan.

This discussion has been closed.