Bug: generated password get saved automatically.

Options
samangh
samangh
Community Member

Here's another bug, were any generated password gets saved on the "Password" category. You don't even need to be on any website or have your browser open.

Seriously guys, have done any bug testing at all? Have you seen the number of bugs reported on these forums? I understand that this is a new version and all that, and that some bugs are inevitable. But this is simply ridiculous. Your internal bug testers (if you even have any) should be fired.

At the moment I'm just trialling 1Passowrd 4. I actually quite like the concept and the UI, and I would buy it and recommend it to my friends if it didn't have as many bugs as an amazon jungle!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @samangh.

Generated passwords being auto-saved to the Passwords category is the intended behavior, as @MikeT explained:

We're doing this for a reason. Suppose that you did generate a password and then paste into the site. What do you do if you press the submit button, it logs in but 1Password never prompted to auto-save it (doesn't happen often but it does)? How do you recover the password? You may not be able to paste again because the clipboard clearing feature in 1Password will wipe it off your clipboard.

That's why we use Passwords as a safety net, to avoid those situations. We provided that clean-up option now because we can compare the passwords in both Password and Logins items to ensure they're the same.

The cleanup-option he refers to is Remove Redundant Generated Passwords, also recently mentioned to @camner in another post. I'll be following up in that topic with additional information and suggestions, which already contains references to several other related topics. I think it may work best to merge these two but for the moment I'll leave them separate.

I hope that helps.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

With all due respect, @samangh, one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Didn't look like catching flies was the objective there.

More to the point, reading forums like this is the very best way to create the false impression that there is nothing right about whatever product is being discussed. Most stratified users won't come to post to say that. But whenever there is a problem, those folks do raise their voices. If you aren't careful to remember that, you get into the kind of mood that is reflected in Post #1 in this thread.

• samangh
    samangh
    Community Member
    Options

Generated passwords being auto-saved to the Passwords category is the intended behavior, as @MikeT explained ...

Thanks, that makes sense. May be auto-saved passwords should be saved in a "Generated Passwords" category or similar, to separate them from user-created passwords. I have several websites/apps/etc that only need a password (and no username). This can cause some confusion, especially if the actual password also has the same title as the auto-saved passwords, etc.

With all due respect, @samangh, one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Sorry, my intention was not to be harsh. I got stung by several bugs within a day of using 1Password. One of these bugs led to significant data loss, so I was not in the best of moods when opening this thread ...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries, guys. Vinegar and honey can both be tasty… although probably not in the same dish. :)

May be auto-saved passwords should be saved in a "Generated Passwords" category or similar, to separate them from user-created passwords.

There's been a lot of feedback about that and it's something we're considering.

I have several websites/apps/etc that only need a password (and no username).

An alternative would be to use Login and Software License instead of Password items for those. A minimal Software License item with just a Password type custom field:

This can cause some confusion, especially if the actual password also has the same title as the auto-saved passwords, etc.

Using unique titles for any items is generally helpful. :)

One of these bugs led to significant data loss

I'm really sorry to hear that, @samangh. Please let me know if there's any way I can help you recover that data.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No worries, guys. Vinegar and honey can both be tasty… although probably not in the same dish.

Au contraire! I make a very tasty balsamic vinegar and citrus honey vinaigrette. :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Touché, @MrC. That does make an appetizing combination. :)

This discussion has been closed.