Need for KILL_BACKGROUND_PROCESSES permission?

twaddington
twaddington
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Android

I'm curious why the application requests this permission. I haven't seen it required before and it sounds somewhat suspicious.

Comments

• Hi @twaddington,

I passed on your concern to the development team. They mentioned that we needed this permission to clear the application's memory when the application was sent to the background after the user selects Menu -> Exit.

We have made changes to this method and this permission will no longer be needed. These changes will be available in the next update.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• F451
    F451
    Community Member

Could it be for HockeyApp and the loading of a newer beta?

• twaddington
    twaddington
    Community Member

Awesome thanks!

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

You're welcome. :)

• m4gr01ino
    m4gr01ino
    Community Member

In general I really like if app developers clarify in the readme / description of the app why and what permissions the app needs (especially WHY, because the google play store clarifications are not usable for "end users" in many cases - or at least not clear).
    Maybe you could keep this in mind when releasing the app in the play store? I think it would help a LOT to avoid misunderstandings.. (and discussion trolls ;) )

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

Hi @m4gr01ino,

We will definitely have a good amount of documentation when we make it to official release. Part of beta testing is testing documentation too, or looking for help documents and not finding them. :) I've seen some nice brief descriptions in the permissions dialog on some apps, hopefully we can do something both places so it's clear what we're asking for and why. Thanks for the heads up!

This discussion has been closed.