Duplicates: Login vs Password

Options
bilbomacuser
bilbomacuser
Community Member

I'm still trying to get the hang of 1Password (still using mSecure for most of my passwords) and trying to simplify things a bit. It's confused me that I'm seeing 134 duplicate passwords, and when I list them they're mostly actually not duplicates (ie. the same password used for different things) but 2 listings for the same password. Generally there is a Login and a Password. What is the difference between them, and why has 1Password generated both versions for the same password? I've been deleting the Password and keeping the Login, is this right?

I suspect this is related to the fact I still don't quite get the process of using the Password Generator. I've sometimes used the password generator, and then logged in to the site and it's told me it's wrong. Why isn't there any streamlining whereby the Password Generator updates the login details it has stored?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The explanation of the Passwords category in post #2 in this thread may be of interest. In summary, the Passwords category is storing generated passwords which 1P4 can't identify that you've already saved to a specific login item. You can use the Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords menu item to remove any redundant items from the Passwords category.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bilbomacuser.

For a more lengthy explanation than in the brief topic @Stephen_C mentioned this might also be of interest to you:

I have way too many 1P generated passwords (and a question about how they work..) [resolved]

And you asked:

Why isn't there any streamlining whereby the Password Generator updates the login details it has stored?

In 4.1/4.1.1, a Password item created by Password Generator will normally be automatically removed after successfully saving/updating a corresponding Login item in Save Login and Upload Login windows, as briefly mentioned in 1Password 4 for Mac Release Notes:

• Duplicated generated passwords are now removed after saving or updating a login in the Save Login window.

However, this bug can prevent that from happening:

Update Login bugs [confirmed, will be fixed]

I hope that information is helpful.

This discussion has been closed.