Feature request: suggest entry(s) in autofill dialog

dschultz
dschultz
Community Member

I seem to hit this a lot: log in to app, autofill dialog says, for example, “Select the account you want to use with Netflix.” I then have to search for Netflix, even though there’s an exact match for it. Would be really nice if 1pw just suggested Netflix, and maybe other close choices if there are any, in addition to allowing search. One click in most cases!

1Password Version: 7.0.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dschultz. The first time you fill into any app from 1Password using Autofill, you will see the search prompt. You then need to choose the Login you want to fill, and 1Password will ask if you are sure you want to fill into this app using this Login. This is to prevent 1Password filling into any bogus apps or sites. Once you've filled it, the app will be linked to the Login, and it will show up as the option for filling from then on. Please give that a try and let me know how it goes!

• dschultz
    dschultz
    Community Member

Hi peri. Thanks for your response, but I think you missed my point.

I understand that once you've done the search manually 1Password remembers the connection (usually) and shows the entry in the autofill menu. But that's wasn't my point. I'm talking about that critical first time. When 1Password stupidly doesn't offer any suggestions at all, even though there's an exact match for the name of the app. First impressions matter and I submit that this behavior does not make a good first impression. On top of that, I recently switched to a new phone, and had to go through this process in dozens of apps. Pretty annoying to constantly have to search manually for XXX when my vault has one, and only one, entry named XXX. I don't see how making the user search manually prevents filling in bogus apps. I know what's in my vault, I know there's an entry for XXX. I'm not asking 1pass to fill it in automatically. I just want it to appear in the autofill menu the first time, just as it does the second time. I still have to select the option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dschultz: I think you and Peri may be talking past each other. I'll try to clarify. :)

As Peri mentioned,

The first time you fill into any app from 1Password using Autofill, you will see the search prompt. You then need to choose the Login you want to fill, and 1Password will ask if you are sure you want to fill into this app using this Login.

to which you replied,

I understand that once you've done the search manually 1Password remembers the connection (usually) and shows the entry in the autofill menu. But that's wasn't my point. I'm talking about that critical first time. When 1Password stupidly doesn't offer any suggestions at all, even though there's an exact match for the name of the app.

The issue is that there is no exact match. If there was, 1Password wouldn't have to give you a list. Android apps have the option to support Google's Autofill APIs, which can give 1Password not only information to match an app to a Login item saved in 1Password, but also tell it what goes where as far as filling, and even allow 1Password to offer to save credentials you fill in the app.

Unfortunately we can't force app developers to do this. Certainly we wish they would, as we put a lot of effort into supporting Android Autofill on our end a couple years ago(?) when this was introduced, and it is a great experience for our mutual users when it's offered. But when they don't, we allow the user to select the appropriate Login item, and then we save that "match" so 1Password can offer it going forward. If we did what you're asking though, and just made a guess based on the name of the app or something...well, that would make it easy for any app to collect people's login credentials for services by putting the names of popular apps in their own app name (just do a Google Play search for "netflix"), so we're not going to do that.

I hope that helps clarify why we've intentionally set things up this way. I'm sorry that it means that you will need to select the correct login the first time for an app that has not been updated to support Google's APIs, but we do need to make sure we're helping people keep their data safe, not the other way around.

This discussion has been closed.