Separate autofill and view/edit settings for multiple shared vaults.

ryanjamescalhoun
ryanjamescalhoun
Community Member

We have multiple shared vaults in our family account. I'd like the ability to manage them, e.g. run Watchtower, etc. But I don't ever want those vaults used for autofilling or saving. Currently, that means I remove myself from the vault--to manage it I have to add myself, do whatever, then remove myself again. If I could just keep the vault membership all the same, but toggle some vaults to never autofill, that would be much easier. Ideally, this could be done in a way that applies across web, android, etc, without needing to set it up on each device.

1Password Version: 7.0.9
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Windows 10, Chrome OS, Android
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @ryanjamescalhoun

You could keep yourself on the vault(s) in question but instead remove them from the "All Vaults" view on each device.

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once | 1Password

This is a per-device setting. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ryanjamescalhoun
    ryanjamescalhoun
    Community Member

I've seen that setting on the Android app. I would like that setting in the Chrome extension as well. The Chrome extension is how I primarily interact with 1password, and that's where it would do me the most good.

And if that setting could be synced instead of repeating on each device, that would be even better.

• And if that setting could be synced instead of repeating on each device, that would be even better.

There are some settings that I think it would be good to sync, such as "Vault for Saving", but I'm not sure I want the same vaults available on all devices. I use a different set of vaults in "All Vaults" on my phone than I do on my computers, and I do so intentionally. If that setting was sync'd, it would be easier on some users, but frustrating for others.

• @ryanjamescalhoun

I've seen that setting on the Android app. I would like that setting in the Chrome extension as well. The Chrome extension is how I primarily interact with 1password, and that's where it would do me the most good.

Which Chrome extension? 1Password X or the traditional extension? In 1Password X there is a setting for it:

For the traditional extension the preference is controlled by whichever desktop app you're using (1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows).

And if that setting could be synced instead of repeating on each device, that would be even better.

I understand the point, but I could see that causing problems for just as many folks as it solves problems for.

Ben

• @gedankenexperimenter

There are some settings that I think it would be good to sync, such as "Vault for Saving"

I mentioned this above as well, but I think there are a fair number of reasons why not to do this.

but I'm not sure I want the same vaults available on all devices

Exactly. How would this be handled when not all of the same vaults are available on each device? What if the 'vault for saving' is set on one device to a vault that doesn't exist on another? And for folks with multiple 1Password memberships which one should sync these preferences?

I use a different set of vaults in "All Vaults" on my phone than I do on my computers, and I do so intentionally. If that setting was sync'd, it would be easier on some users, but frustrating for others.

This is one of the primary reasons we don't do this.

Ben

• @Ben:

There are some settings that I think it would be good to sync, such as "Vault for Saving"

I mentioned this above as well, but I think there are a fair number of reasons why not to do this.

What I think would be best would be a way to change the global default for this, but allow the user to override it on an individual client app. That's probably unacceptable to the developers, but I'll make the case, anyway:

I have three children who have accounts on a family plan. I want to make sure that I have easy access to any accounts they create from my clients, and I'm not allowed to log in with multiple accounts from the same family at the same time in one app. Therefore, I want to make sure that any entries they save will go into a shared vault (one for each of them) that my account also has access to. The next time I set up a new device for one of them, I'm very likely to forget that I need to change the "Vault for Saving" setting, and that will lead to confusion and frustration when there's some problem with an entry that got added to a Private vault somewhere down the line.

If I could change the default vault for saving to something other than Private for an account, so that when a new client is set up, it won't be necessary to remember to take that extra step, it would be very likely to save me some frustration and time in the future.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

I almost hate to mention it, as it means using a feature for something other than it was designed... but: What about inviting your children to your 1Password Families account as guests rather than family members? That would make it such that they only have access to one shared vault that you designate (and no Private vault). The downside of this, beyond using a feature in ways not intended, is that they wouldn't have access to the built-in Shared vault, if that is something you utilize. When they're old enough to have their own Private vault you delete the guest account and invite them as a family member, giving them access to the shared vault again.

If I could change the default vault for saving to something other than Private for an account, so that when a new client is set up, it won't be necessary to remember to take that extra step, it would be very likely to save me some frustration and time in the future.

Again I could see that causing some trouble and confusion for folks that have multiple accounts. As 1Password becomes more and more popular in multiple contexts (e.x. both work and home) that is becoming more and more an issue. I'm not sure how we could address that. It seems to add a fair amount of complexity and "what ifs."

Ben

• I almost hate to mention it, as it means using a feature for something other than it was designed…

Thanks for the suggestion (I hadn't thought of it), but I also don't like using features in ways that they were not designed. It wouldn't work, anyway, because of the Shared vault restriction, among other things.

Again I could see that causing some trouble and confusion for folks that have multiple accounts. As 1Password becomes more and more popular in multiple contexts (e.x. both work and home) that is becoming more and more an issue. I'm not sure how we could address that. It seems to add a fair amount of complexity and "what ifs."

I would expect the best thing would be to only use the default value to set the "Vault for Saving" if there is not yet an account logged in on a given client. That way, if I'm adding a second (or third) account to my client, it wouldn't change my current setting, and I think best satisfies the principle of least astonishment.

Alternatively, and perhaps more palatable to the options-averse staff of AgileBits: when adding a new account, present the user with a dialog to select the vault for saving on that client app. That would give people who are in my position a reminder that they need to change that setting, and be a simple click of "okay" for everyone who doesn't want to change the default.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019

I'll file an issue for the team to chew on. :)

Ben

ref: xplatform/b5book#940

This discussion has been closed.