My mother forgot her master PW, so I recovered her account. How to update her Mac app?

hlewitt
hlewitt
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Mac

After I recovered my mom's account (forgot master pw) she can successfully login into 1password.com. However, she needs the browser support of 1PW mini that is only available through her desktop Mac 1PW app. The app opens but in Preferences under the Accounts tab in the right pane, her old secret key is still visible. How do I remove the existing account and add the newly recovered account and secret key so she can log into it using her new master password? Note that beneath the account entry called "The Lewitt's" the "+" and "-" are grayed out so I can't remove the old account at all. And, your recovery documentation leaves out this step entirely.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Version 7.0.7 (70007001)
OS Version: high sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:update app with recovered account

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hlewitt - sorry for the trouble! 1Password should recognize the change in credentials and prompt you to sign in again, but if that didn't happen (and assuming your mother has only this (now-recovered) 1Password account, and not any other 1Password data in standalone vaults), it's safe to click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will remove all the data and make it as if she is a brand new user. Just sign in again using the new credentials, and all the data should be as it was before.

• hlewitt
    hlewitt
    Community Member

Thanks, so far I was able to remove all the data and log into the recovered account using her new credentials. However, when logged in the 1PW app is empty of any vaults or items. From 1password.com, the vault is intact. Why are the items and the vault appearing? I removed the account again and logged into it again, still nothing displays in the app. What do you suggest as next steps?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hlewitt - it sounds very much as if your mother still has the two 1Password accounts, and you're potentially not signing into the correct one. What I suggest at this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with her data, is for you to have her create some diagnostics reports, one from each of her devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With her emails please have her include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/100415/my-mother-forgot-her-master-pw-so-i-recovered-her-account-how-to-update-her-mac-app
    • Your forum username: @hlewitt

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• hlewitt
    hlewitt
    Community Member

Lars,
    Thanks for all the advice and directions, but this morning when I opened my Mom's 1PW, her vault contents were all visible again! Perhaps there was a big delay in synching or some other temporary issue, but for now, she is back in business and shopping again on QVC. Thanks and take care,
    Howard

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@hlewitt - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I'm glad I was able to help you get things squared away. Please let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.